Chapman or shapman is one of the popular Nigerian drinks; it is served in most major Nigerian restaurants and bar and also the most popular drink for cocktail parties in Nigeria
I am writing this article because I got an email from an expert member of the kitchen who wanted to prepare the Chapman drink for her kids.

So here we go! 😀

It became my favorite soft drink since I learned how to prepare it. You can decide to make it soft or hard, what I mean is that you can add a particular ingredient to make chapman alcoholic for adult or avoid the ingredient so that both adults and children can enjoy it.

I can’t say much about the origin of chapman but I hear that it all started with a man at the Ikoyi club, a man named shapman.

Chapman drink

Angostura aromatic Bitter is the ingredients to look out for, at first I thought I wouldn’t find it in Nigeria but I did, I learned it is marketed and distributed by just one company in Nigeria and you can buy it in most major super stores. I got mine from everyday emporium at a very expensive price, a small bottle was sold at four thousand five hundred naira only. Ask for angostura aromatic bitters…that is used for cocktails.

I later learned that amazon offers it at a way cheaper price.
Alomo bitters can also be used in place of the angostura bitters, alomo bitters is very popular in Nigeria and sold at every corner of the street in Lagos. However, you can avoid the aromatic bitter or alomo bitter completely if you want to make chapman for the kids instead, you should squeeze in a lime… half lime would be OK. This would slightly affect the true taste of the chapman that you buy from bars and restaurants but it is alright, even a drop of alcohol is not right for a child.

Here are the comprehensive ingredients for making chapman, the popular Nigerian drink. These ingredients would serve two to three persons.

Ingredients for chapman Nigerian Drink

Serving: 4 persons.

A bottle of Fanta (35cl)
A bottle of Sprite (35cl)
Angostura aromatic bitter or alomo bitters 3 spoons
Grenadine syrup (1 cup)
5-10 spoons of orange juice (optional)
1 lemon or lime
cucumber
Ice cubes

making chapman drink

The orange and cucumber are used for garnishing; you can use lime, oranges, cucumber, grapes, a combination of two or even just lemon is okey

How to prepare shapman (chapman)

It is better to prepare chapman in a jug the way David did in the video below and then distribute in glass cups thereafter. I hope you know that ice cubes are the same thing as ice block; the different is just the shapes. Most refrigerator are supplied with ice cube trays, so be sure to have them ready before you start the preparation.

It is also advisable to chill the fanta and sprite before using them. You should remember that chapman must be served cold or you will be arrested by Chapman himself 😀 So the best approach would be to chill the major ingredients before the preparation.

So here we go with the preparation.

Get a simple wine glass or a giant mug, pour a cup full of grenadine syrup.

Pour in the sprite and fanta into the same jug. Add two to three spoons of the angostura aromatic bitter, alomo bitter is used alternatively in case you can’t find angostura bitter in your location but that would alter the true taste of chapman.

The angostura/alomo bitter kinda dilutes the sweetness from other ingredients a little; you have to be mindful of the quantity of chapman that you consume if you are not using these bitters. This is just to avoid the intake of sugar in excess.

Add the fresh orange juice, and shake or stir with a spoon.

At this point you are almost done with making the Chapman Nigerian drink, go ahead and distribute in glass cups and then throw in the garnishing fruits. Cut the cucumber/oranges into triangular shapes and throw into the mixture. Cucumber, lemon or even banana can also be used for garnishing; even a combination of two or three fruits-slice is acceptable.

Add the ice cubes and serve chilled with a straw and your favorite snack. So the Nigerian Chapman or shapman drink is made of a bottle of fanta, sprite, Angostura aromatic bitters, grenadine syrup, fruit juice, ice cubes and other garnishing Ingredients.

That is how to make Chapman drink, the most popular drink for cocktail parties in Nigeria.

Here is the video for chapman, as made by David, watch and enjoy. Don’t forget to drop me a comment below.

Comments

1. ada  April 1, 2015

You are the best. All the best.

2. shola  April 2, 2015

Thank you very much Chy, God will continue to increase you in knowledge and understanding.

3. M  April 4, 2015

Alomo shudnt be an alternative, angostura bitter hs a special reason why d world hs it on d chapman recipe. Its beta to jst do lime if u cant find angostura.
    Add only 8-10 dashes of angostura.
    Also its cucumber fr garnish. Its part of d traditional chapman taste. For beta result u can let ur cucumber soak in d chapman fr a wile.
    Orange juice is included not optional

4. Ugokwe ifeoma  April 4, 2015

Chy thanks alot for the priveldge u hv given me to learn champman. My good lord will give u a double grace to all your endervous, keep up ur good work GOD BLESS U DEAR. Pls can u also teach us other types of cocktail drinks that is common like champman and d finger foods (i.e small chops). Hope to hear from u. THANKS.

• chidi anan
      chidi anan  April 4, 2015

Yap, thanks for commenting. So much is coming!

5. yetty  April 5, 2015

please ma how can i add alcohol 2d chapman

• chidi anan
      chidi anan  April 5, 2015

The alcohol is the angustura bitter @ yetty

6. Habiba  May 16, 2015

Hello chy,thanks for the Chapman recipe, u know, l’ve always wanted to learn how to make it but most people i ask won’t open as u are.Thanks again for sharing with us. God bless.

7. Oye  May 23, 2015

Is angostura aromatic bitter optional.

• chidi anan
      chidi anan  May 26, 2015

Yes it is optional, however, if you desire to achieve the correct taste of chapman, you would need it.
      Chy

8. idris  May 31, 2015

Nice one Chy!

9. elijah  June 5, 2015

thanks a lot.
    I see a o lot of Nigerian Chapman. is there another kind. could you talk about it.?

10. Liliane Bonnet  June 14, 2015

A very good and refreshing drink
    we used to have it while in Nigeria in 1973 to 1982
    avery nice souvenir from kano and Kaduna

11. nafisah  June 14, 2015

Chapman my favorite drink!! Love I so much

12. obaji Anthony Paul  June 17, 2015

Pls, from ur pictures, I observed that the pill of the orange is not removed, won’t it affect the taste of the Chapman. Secondly can one use pineapple instead of oranges.

• chidi anan
      chidi anan  June 20, 2015

How do you mean, the orange juice is used, squeeze out and filter.

13. V  June 29, 2015

Grew up playing squash at the ikoyi club every Sunday in the early 70’s while dad played golf. I was a young chap of 12 and I fondly remember this drink as we sat in the veranda and watched the sunset over the golf course. Thanks to you I’ve resurrected the recipe I only wish I could resurrect those special moments my brother and I spent sitting with dad drenched in sweat sipping our chapmans and loving everything Nigerian. The country its people it’s customs and its quisine and of course it’s chapman drink.

14. Odey  August 15, 2015

This is interesting

15. David  September 12, 2015

Hi Chy – Oga!
    I was English Expat with my young wife and two children working in Nigeria for a major company in 1964 through all the Major General Ironsi and Yakubu Gowon Biafran War years. I saw the Kainji Dam and the New Lagos Bridge being built and made many Nigerian friends all of whom we found to be gentle, fun loving people; and I have lots of lovely real photos (no mobiles in those days) to remind us of the happy times. I learned to fly a small plane at Kiri-Kiri where the small field was adjacent to the prison down the Agege “motor road”.

We all used to live in Ikeja on the Chief Okupe Estate and drank many Chapmans The beer was Heineken and Star but I always found the Chapmans a favourite when playing squash or swimming / sunbathing.

THANKS A LOT FOR REMINDING ME OF THE RECIPE CHY. I am unable to drink alcohol now so have reverted to dear old Chapmans with all its pleasant reminders. My grown up family also still enjoy it very much too.

I wonder if you could find time to reply and perhaps bring me a little up to date?

• chidi anan
      chidi anan  September 12, 2015

Wow! it is very wonderful to read this story, especially when it is an eye-witness account, chapman is a wonderful drink, I could take it everyday if not for the way-too-sugary taste. Thanks for your comment David – Oga!

16. Seyi Senuga  October 18, 2015

Thanks for this info. U’ll never know know how much good you’ve done for me.
    God bless u real good.

17. Vicky.  October 23, 2015

God bless u so much. Apart 4rm d angoustura bitters or alomo can som1 use a non alcoholic bitters lyk d asheitu adams bitters or swidish bitters?

• chidi anan
      chidi anan  October 26, 2015

I am not so sure about other bitters but you can give a whirl and tell us how it all turned out.

18. Nenye Nwa  October 26, 2015

Aunty Chy Gud morning ma, i love ur teaches so much thanks keep it up ma n GOD bless u. Please how can i get ur book here in Onitsha please i need it Thanks. My number 08067266238

19. Lonnie  October 30, 2015

Was planning for my daughter’s birthday n came across dis site. U have just saved me lots of money n eased d extra stress. U rock. Kip it up

20. fafcy  November 23, 2015

God bless you chy for the good work you are doing. please just wanna know if the angoustura bitters is an alcoholic flavour. please if it is can it not be used or will it defile the real Chapman taste? Thanks and God bless.

• chidi anan
      chidi anan  November 25, 2015

There is a slight difference, but it is permitted.