Chapman or shapman is one of the popular Nigerian drinks; it is served in most major Nigerian restaurants and bar and also the most popular drink for cocktail parties in Nigeria
I am writing this article because I got an email from an expert member of the kitchen who wanted to prepare the Chapman drink for her kids.

So here we go! 😀

It became my favorite soft drink since I learned how to prepare it. You can decide to make it soft or hard, what I mean is that you can add a particular ingredient to make chapman alcoholic for adult or avoid the ingredient so that both adults and children can enjoy it.

I can’t say much about the origin of chapman but I hear that it all started with a man at the Ikoyi club, a man named shapman.

Chapman drink

Angostura aromatic Bitter is the ingredients to look out for, at first I thought I wouldn’t find it in Nigeria but I did, I learned it is marketed and distributed by just one company in Nigeria and you can buy it in most major super stores. I got mine from everyday emporium at a very expensive price, a small bottle was sold at four thousand five hundred naira only. Ask for angostura aromatic bitters…that is used for cocktails.

I later learned that amazon offers it at a way cheaper price.
Alomo bitters can also be used in place of the angostura bitters, alomo bitters is very popular in Nigeria and sold at every corner of the street in Lagos. However, you can avoid the aromatic bitter or alomo bitter completely if you want to make chapman for the kids instead, you should squeeze in a lime… half lime would be OK. This would slightly affect the true taste of the chapman that you buy from bars and restaurants but it is alright, even a drop of alcohol is not right for a child.

Here are the comprehensive ingredients for making chapman, the popular Nigerian drink. These ingredients would serve two to three persons.

Ingredients for chapman Nigerian Drink

Serving: 4 persons.

A bottle of Fanta (35cl)
A bottle of Sprite (35cl)
Angostura aromatic bitter or alomo bitters 3 spoons
Grenadine syrup (1 cup)
5-10 spoons of orange juice (optional)
1 lemon or lime
cucumber
Ice cubes

making chapman drink

The orange and cucumber are used for garnishing; you can use lime, oranges, cucumber, grapes, a combination of two or even just lemon is okey

How to prepare shapman (chapman)

It is better to prepare chapman in a jug the way David did in the video below and then distribute in glass cups thereafter. I hope you know that ice cubes are the same thing as ice block; the different is just the shapes. Most refrigerator are supplied with ice cube trays, so be sure to have them ready before you start the preparation.

It is also advisable to chill the fanta and sprite before using them. You should remember that chapman must be served cold or you will be arrested by Chapman himself 😀 So the best approach would be to chill the major ingredients before the preparation.

So here we go with the preparation.

Get a simple wine glass or a giant mug, pour a cup full of grenadine syrup.

Pour in the sprite and fanta into the same jug. Add two to three spoons of the angostura aromatic bitter, alomo bitter is used alternatively in case you can’t find angostura bitter in your location but that would alter the true taste of chapman.

The angostura/alomo bitter kinda dilutes the sweetness from other ingredients a little; you have to be mindful of the quantity of chapman that you consume if you are not using these bitters. This is just to avoid the intake of sugar in excess.

Add the fresh orange juice, and shake or stir with a spoon.

At this point you are almost done with making the Chapman Nigerian drink, go ahead and distribute in glass cups and then throw in the garnishing fruits. Cut the cucumber/oranges into triangular shapes and throw into the mixture. Cucumber, lemon or even banana can also be used for garnishing; even a combination of two or three fruits-slice is acceptable.

Add the ice cubes and serve chilled with a straw and your favorite snack. So the Nigerian Chapman or shapman drink is made of a bottle of fanta, sprite, Angostura aromatic bitters, grenadine syrup, fruit juice, ice cubes and other garnishing Ingredients.

That is how to make Chapman drink, the most popular drink for cocktail parties in Nigeria.

Here is the video for chapman, as made by David, watch and enjoy. Don’t forget to drop me a comment below.

Comments

1. yemmy  November 24, 2015

Thanks Chy,pls can I use small handleless cups to serve champman at a party?

• Chy Anegbu  November 25, 2015

You can serve chapman with anything you like, its your show. lol

2. Patricia  December 29, 2015

Its great learning how to make dis drinks especially d Chapman, thank u chy

3. Joyfak Funto  December 30, 2015

whao dis is lovely.pls can u teach me small chops. I will appreciate it if u reply soon. thanks chy

4. geraldine  December 30, 2015

its nice I will try it.

5. Tommie  December 31, 2015

just want to know if in place of Alomo or any other bitters one can use Campari to kill the sweetness ..

• Tari  December 13, 2016

Yes you can use campari and rum or campari and vodka.

6. Mabel  January 6, 2016

Thanks for this recipe,I love chapman drink.

7. stephanie  January 10, 2016

Wow chapman! Chapman! Dis is exciting always heard abt it never tasted it b4 buh 4rm comments n d ingredients am falling in love gona try it dis weekend mrs chy rock proudly nigerian

8. stephanie  January 10, 2016

Mrs chy pls after using d angostura bitters n d syrup how do I preserve it?

9. marylin  January 14, 2016

Chy, you have made it so simple. God bless you

10. Izenose  January 21, 2016

Chy to be honest I wasnt going to make this drink because I was afraid I might flunk it n mess my wonderful mind set about Chapman but after reading almost all the comments I am determined to get it right! So please how do I get the grenadine syrup? Is it a drug, a sweetener,a sugar substitute, or a drink? etc. Cos am also a shopperholick and I haven’t come across any drink with that name (grenadine).

• Chy Anegbu  January 25, 2016

geraldine is very popular now, you can find it from any super store. which city do you live? you will find it at Shoprite, Spar, Park n Shop etc.

• Chy Anegbu  January 25, 2016

You can purchase geraldine syrup from Spar, Shoprite, Park n shop, etc.

11. soomie  January 22, 2016

Chi…. u are d best in d world… I hate kitchen but of late.. kitchen is now ma best friend and my mum is wondering like steven wonder,, what happened to dis gurl.. in short note she’s happy I now love d kitchen.. thanks so much.. I look forward in learning more.

12. FALUSI A.B  January 29, 2016

Hi Chi,kindly let me know when the new and improved Edition of your cookery book is out,I would like to have a copy in my library.

• Chy Anegbu  January 29, 2016

it’s out already. Call 08035051468, 08157668217 to get your copy now.

13. Joyce  February 1, 2016

Chy. This is gud, i can’t wait to get it done. Tanx alot.

14. Joy oladimeji  February 2, 2016

Joy
    Chi
    U too much oooo I must confess, this chapman am going to give it a trial this weekend.
    God bless u ijn.

15. Funmi Arisoyin  February 12, 2016

Kudos ma, please can we use only Fanta and pineapple for chap?

16. Olivia  February 18, 2016

Gudevening ma.. I must say that I luv site. I have been hearing about chapman but I have never had a taste. I will not hesitate to make a cup this weekend. Thanks so much for ur recipe.GOD bless u ma.

17. yinka  March 30, 2016

I”m impressed with this tips. pls can u help me I want to prepare for 150pple. what are the quantities to use. pls expect ur reply on my email
    God bless u

18. mbonu ify  April 15, 2016

THANK YOU KINDLY CHY.

PLEASE MY QUESTION GOES LIKE THIS, IS IT NATURAL ORANGE JUICE (NATURAL ORANGE) THAT I WILL USE FOR THE CHAPMAN OR ARTIFICIAL ORANGE JUICE.
    SECONDLY, MUST I USED ANGOSTURA BITTER?
    THIRDLY, IS THIS THE ONLY INGREDIENT FOR CHAPMAN,REALLY?
    KINDLY GET BACK TO ME .
    SINCERELY,
    IFY.

19. kemi  April 15, 2016

Chy,
    U are a life saver. Since I discovered your site, my cooking has gotten another dimension. Though, I am into catering but preparing the same meal in different kinds of way has never been easy.
    Keep up the good works. Kudos

20. Joyce O.  April 27, 2016

wooo! i can’t wait ooo. thanks a lot ma for sharing with me. may God continue to enrich u with wisdom. long live Chy Anegbu…