Chapman or shapman is one of the popular Nigerian drinks; it is served in most major Nigerian restaurants and bar and also the most popular drink for cocktail parties in Nigeria
I am writing this article because I got an email from an expert member of the kitchen who wanted to prepare the Chapman drink for her kids.

So here we go! 😀

It became my favorite soft drink since I learned how to prepare it. You can decide to make it soft or hard, what I mean is that you can add a particular ingredient to make chapman alcoholic for adult or avoid the ingredient so that both adults and children can enjoy it.

I can’t say much about the origin of chapman but I hear that it all started with a man at the Ikoyi club, a man named shapman.

Chapman drink

Angostura aromatic Bitter is the ingredients to look out for, at first I thought I wouldn’t find it in Nigeria but I did, I learned it is marketed and distributed by just one company in Nigeria and you can buy it in most major super stores. I got mine from everyday emporium at a very expensive price, a small bottle was sold at four thousand five hundred naira only. Ask for angostura aromatic bitters…that is used for cocktails.

I later learned that amazon offers it at a way cheaper price.
Alomo bitters can also be used in place of the angostura bitters, alomo bitters is very popular in Nigeria and sold at every corner of the street in Lagos. However, you can avoid the aromatic bitter or alomo bitter completely if you want to make chapman for the kids instead, you should squeeze in a lime… half lime would be OK. This would slightly affect the true taste of the chapman that you buy from bars and restaurants but it is alright, even a drop of alcohol is not right for a child.

Here are the comprehensive ingredients for making chapman, the popular Nigerian drink. These ingredients would serve two to three persons.

Ingredients for chapman Nigerian Drink

Serving: 4 persons.

A bottle of Fanta (35cl)
A bottle of Sprite (35cl)
Angostura aromatic bitter or alomo bitters 3 spoons
Grenadine syrup (1 cup)
5-10 spoons of orange juice (optional)
1 lemon or lime
cucumber
Ice cubes

making chapman drink

The orange and cucumber are used for garnishing; you can use lime, oranges, cucumber, grapes, a combination of two or even just lemon is okey

How to prepare shapman (chapman)

It is better to prepare chapman in a jug the way David did in the video below and then distribute in glass cups thereafter. I hope you know that ice cubes are the same thing as ice block; the different is just the shapes. Most refrigerator are supplied with ice cube trays, so be sure to have them ready before you start the preparation.

It is also advisable to chill the fanta and sprite before using them. You should remember that chapman must be served cold or you will be arrested by Chapman himself 😀 So the best approach would be to chill the major ingredients before the preparation.

So here we go with the preparation.

Get a simple wine glass or a giant mug, pour a cup full of grenadine syrup.

Pour in the sprite and fanta into the same jug. Add two to three spoons of the angostura aromatic bitter, alomo bitter is used alternatively in case you can’t find angostura bitter in your location but that would alter the true taste of chapman.

The angostura/alomo bitter kinda dilutes the sweetness from other ingredients a little; you have to be mindful of the quantity of chapman that you consume if you are not using these bitters. This is just to avoid the intake of sugar in excess.

Add the fresh orange juice, and shake or stir with a spoon.

At this point you are almost done with making the Chapman Nigerian drink, go ahead and distribute in glass cups and then throw in the garnishing fruits. Cut the cucumber/oranges into triangular shapes and throw into the mixture. Cucumber, lemon or even banana can also be used for garnishing; even a combination of two or three fruits-slice is acceptable.

Add the ice cubes and serve chilled with a straw and your favorite snack. So the Nigerian Chapman or shapman drink is made of a bottle of fanta, sprite, Angostura aromatic bitters, grenadine syrup, fruit juice, ice cubes and other garnishing Ingredients.

That is how to make Chapman drink, the most popular drink for cocktail parties in Nigeria.

Here is the video for chapman, as made by David, watch and enjoy. Don’t forget to drop me a comment below.

Comments

1. Bola  June 10, 2016

Lovely thanks 4 the tips u rock, may God bless d work of ur hand

2. peju Rotimi  June 15, 2016

Thank u so much for this,even though l have been making chapman but l know the correct measurement for glass cup.sincere appreciation.

3. Dan  June 29, 2016

Hmm u got it right chy…as a trained bar attendant I prepare Chapman with different garnishing… chy u are doing a great job..for all your Chapman ingredients…from Angostra bitter, grenadine, tasty time…Even all sorts of wines contact me for that on whatsapp 08138649412 or call 07081893591.. I know angostra bitter is a little bit scarce and expensive…deliver any where in Nigeria at any quantity….from Daniel Chikwue…surulere Lagos.

4. olayinka  July 16, 2016

I must sincerely appreciate you chy Almighty God will continue to bless u more.
    pls I want to guide in making ice cream and yoghurt

5. JOY  July 28, 2016

Is the Grenadine syrup compulsory, thanks for showing me how to make chapman.

6. comfort  August 25, 2016

Thank you for sharing the idea of preparing chapman ,i appreciate but please where can one buy grenadine syrup

7. Vize  September 17, 2016

Chy ,good morning. this is amazing.your site rocks. I was about going to attend a Chapman training class this morning,but my hubby was of the opinion I check online instead of going through the stress of having to go so far just to learn Chapman.i got in here ,and you really wowed me with your superlicious recipes. I’m definitely going to try it out today. thanks so much Chy

• chidi anan
      chidi anan  September 17, 2016

Awww! Tahnks for your feedback dear. You are gonna love chapman.

8. maureen  December 29, 2016

do u garnish ur Chapman by dropping d sliced orange,cucumber into it or by hanging it by d cup?

9. Bukola  February 26, 2017

chy tanks 4 sharing dis knowledge wit u God bless u. pls wat is d size of d cup or measurement of d cup to use. tanks

10. Nkay  February 27, 2017

CHY THANKS ONCE AGAIN FOR THIS…PLEASE WHAT QUANTITY OF INGREDIENTS CAN I USE TO MAKE CHAPMAN FOR ABOUT A HUNDRED PEOPLE??? THANKS AGAIN

11. Ruth Nkem  March 6, 2017

Chy, thank you for this procedure on Chapman. I am so glad to have known this. In fact, this is the drink for my family this Easter holiday when everybody will be around to enjoy it. I am glad to have purchased and subscribed for your newsletters.

Remain blessed.

Nkem,

• chidi anan
      chidi anan  March 7, 2017

Thanks for your feedback dear. God bless you too.

12. Rose  March 7, 2017

wow!never knew Chapman is so easy to make.I’ll look for the ingredients and make it. thanks chy

• chidi anan
      chidi anan  March 9, 2017

Welcome once again to the blog, yea! It is really easy. Most things in life are easy. 😀

13. MABEL  March 25, 2017

THANKS CHY, PROUD 2 COME ACCROSS DIS BLOG

14. Ngozi  April 13, 2017

Hi Chi, you are a miracle. Got the Chapman recipe. Looks great. Going to Surprise my spouse this Easter holiday. But dear what is this grenadine syrup and where can l get it i.e is it in a supermarket or from those selling cake ingredients.
    Regards.
    Ngozi

• chidi anan
      chidi anan  April 15, 2017

Check, shoprite or spar or any big shopping mall for Geraldine syrup.

15. Elizabeth  May 26, 2017

Never knew such exit, first time but am already thrilled to be here. Nice work God bless you.

16. Vivienne  May 26, 2017

Thanks a lot for the Chapman recipe. I’ll definitely try it out.

17. Ade  May 30, 2017

Hi Chy, I love cooking and I’m a chef in U.K so I cook a lot of continental dishes but I’m planning to open a restaurant to showcase our rich Nigerian food but with English twist, can you help pls?

18. Tolani  June 14, 2017

Thank you for the Chapman recipe, will try it out. please, keep up the good work. #mua

19. BELLE  June 15, 2017

THANKS SO MUCH

20. Rejoice  June 19, 2017

Thanks Chy. This is awesome.
    I love this blog