Coconut rice is not just a healthy meal, it is also delicious, especially when you use really matured-sweet coconuts.
If you are looking to prepare this delicious meal but don’t know how to do it, here is all you need to know about preparing this delicious rice meal.

I think this comes fourth on my list of delicious rice meals. Right after salad sauce, carrot stew and fried rice. If you don’t have the Rice Book yet, pls don’t delay anymore – Get it here or Get All My Books Together at a Discounted Price Here

What you see is a simple coconut rice, super delicious. The only difference between the usual jollof rice and this is the use of cocoanut milk; it changes the taste and impairs the color slightly.

Cocoanut rice

There are actually different recipe, some don’t use tomatoes, I have another recipe in the rice book that is called buttered coconut rice, it’s to die for. 😆 😀

First you should spend some time looking for the really matured cocoanut, one big cocoanut would be enough for 4 cups of rice which would probably serve a family of five or six.

When you eventually find the matured-dried cocoanut, the shell is usually dried. Break it, take a bite, if it is not sweet, start looking again. It is important to buy the really matured and sweet cocoanut, it make a whole lot of difference. It should really be somewhat sugary. If you are there, shout – yaw!!! And commence with the rest of the cooking.

The Ingredients for cocoanut rice Include (Serving – 6 Persons)
Coconut (one big ball)
3 cups of rice
Fresh ground or sliced tomatoes (500ml)
Chicken/beef (2KG)
Onions (2 bulbs)
Maggi cubes (2-3)
1 sachet Kitchen glory (beef seasoning)
Groundnut/vegetable oil half cup (150ml)
Salt and pepper to taste
Step 1

How to make coconut rice

You start by breaking and de-shelling the cocoanut (we don’t need the water inside, you can drink it – very healthy), grate (sort of grind) the coconut with a grater, the idea is to squeeze out the milk from the main coconut. Normally you grate the coconut with a grater and then add a cup of water or two and then squeeze out the white water (coconut milk) which is needed for the preparation of coconut rice. Filter the squeezed out milk and set aside in a bowl

cocoanut-rice-ingredients

Parboil about three to four cups of rice, grind the tomatoes/peppers (you need about 500ml), your blender should be calibrated, or you can slice the tomatoes if you like. Also parboil the chicken with all the necessary ingredients (Onions, Maggi, Salt, and Kitchen glory – beef seasoning), add water about five minutes later and allow cooking till it is soft for consumption.

Pick the chicken with a fork and deep fry while reserving the stock (water from the meat) for further cooking. Once you have gotten the water from the coconut and also fried the chicken… or not. Sometimes I just add the chicken without frying them.

Step 2
Set your cooking pot on heat, add half cup (150ml) of vegetable/groundnut oil, allow heating for at least 90 seconds before adding the ground or sliced tomatoes. Now fry and stir the tomatoes for the next 10-15 minutes till it is dried.
Add the meat extract (water from the meat) once you are done with frying the tomatoes, also add the coconut milk, a cube of maggi, add more salt to taste. Allow to boil before adding the rice, cook for the next twenty to forty minutes until it is very soft for consumption.

You can add a little more water along the line. Once it is soft enough to your desire, go ahead and serve with the fried meat, you just made a delicious pot of coconut rice

Serve with the cooked, fried or grilled chicken. Aside chicken you can also use goat meat, beef or assorted meat to make a delicious cocoanut rice meal.

Do you like the meal? Any question? pls leave me a comment below.

Learn about other Rice Recipes – Coconut rice

Here is the video for this coconut rice recipe, our smart videos help give you a visual knowledge of what you are actually supposed to be doing. I hope you enjoy every bit of it.

Comments

1. Victor Winner  September 19, 2015

wow, u most b a rily gud cook. i ll have to gv ur cocoanut rice a try wit d tomatos kind of tin u knw.

• helly  August 5, 2016

Wow your cooking is so interesting, can tin tomatos also be use, must it be fresh tomatos?

2. Adaora  February 25, 2016

Pls chy how do I get d cook book. I reside in Lagos

3. kingcee  March 19, 2016

I am also a chef. I knw good food n good food iz
    good

4. Emerald  March 29, 2016

Chy tenks. I wil try dis soon

5. Folashade  April 8, 2016

Hmmmmm, heeeen,Lovely

6. Emmy  April 19, 2016

Nice recipe though. Your delicacy are always nice but have not known tomatoes in coconut and groundnut/vegetable oil is optional.

7. Mina  April 24, 2016

My mother, taught me to cook coconut rice without fresh tomatoes or vegetable oil and we usually grind the coconut and sieve it to collect the milk and do away with the shaff. I’ve always tried this in my family alongside other spices crayfish inclusive. Each time i prepare it my family and friends always ask for more. Thanks though for your own recipe.

8. rameed  May 5, 2016

Hmmmm,yummy, can’t wait to try this again. Coconut beans is also nice, try it.

9. Khadijah  May 29, 2016

How can I make White coconut rice not jollof

10. Halima  July 15, 2016

Chy i appreciate u. Can’t wait to try tomorrow. How i wish u wil b here to taste n comment.

11. Vivian  July 22, 2016

Beautiful, can I add vegetable and when do I add it?

12. Ekaette  July 23, 2016

Never heard of groundnut/vegetable oil in coconut rice before. Even tomatoes in coconut rice eliminates the smell of the coconut.

• Chy Anegbu  July 25, 2016

There are over 10 known coconut rice recipes my dear Ekaette. What then do you say of coconut moi moi? When it comes to cooking, nothing is etched in stones. thanks

13. Bablo  July 24, 2016

I love coconut rice so much. I am so gonna be making this with my gf

14. Ekaette  July 25, 2016

I didn’t mean any offence Chy, just that the coconut milk has enough oil in it already to cook the rice very well. Adding additional oil to it is more calories.

15. Cecilia  November 13, 2016

Cecilia is waiting for your reply so that l too can experience what other woman are experiencing with those books I need all of them.

• Chy Anegbu  November 14, 2016

please call us for the books on 08035051468, 08157668217

16. Judy  March 11, 2017

Wow I never knew they also add tomatoes to coconut rice ,it really gonna be nice u kwn thanks dear I learnt dis from u am happy .I will give a try to it

17. Bisi  August 7, 2017

Hi Chy
    I recently subscribed to ur site. How I must have missed all this while o! Tnx for d recipe above.
    Ironically I made coconut rice just last week almost the same way as u made urs except two differences:
    – I used coconut oil in place of veg oil
    – I added fresh shrimps like Blessing mentioned above by first frying it in d coconut oil then removing it from the pot and mixing it in only at the end just before serving.
    A trial dey say will convince you!
    Thanks Chy for all you do. Looking 4wrd to buying ur books.
    Bisi

• Chy Anegbu  August 8, 2017

Lovely, thanks for your comment dear.

18. Amychukwuka  September 11, 2017

God bless the work of your hands, sure to try it soon.

19. Hafsat  October 19, 2017

Nice one thankyou

20. Bjay  October 20, 2017

Thanks for this, but please what I really anticipate is the ofada rice sauce(popularly known as ayamase) I really want to know the preparations and have the ingredients, thanks.