The Nigerian edikaikong soup has over the years topped the list of Nigerian popular soups because of its nutritional value and ease of preparation.
This soup is native to the efiks, people from cross river state. The name edikaikong simply translates to “vegetable soup”

I make more of this soup than every other Nigerian soup simply because it is likely the best source of vitamins known to me.

The only downside to this soup is that it loses its nutritional value when refrigerated over a long period of time. It is advisable to make what would be enough for few days, one week at most. (but that is if you care about its nutritional value, some folks don’t remember that part)
Edikaikong

Here are all the ingredients for making Nigerian edikaikong soup, you can reduce or increase depending on the number of people you are looking to feed.

Ingredients For Edikaikong

Serving 6×2
Stock fish head (medium size)
500g Dried fish or roasted fish
1 cup of ground or pounded crayfish
Waterleaf (10-12 cups)
Fluted pumpkin (ugwu leaf) (6-7 cups)
1 cup of palm oil
Meat of choice (preferably assorted meat)
Salt and pepper to taste
Maggi or knorr cube (3-4)
1 cup of Periwinkles (optional)
2 spoons of ofor or achi
Half cup of onions

Below are the images of some of the ingredients used for edikaikong soup, I like to pound my pepper/crayfish whenever I am making this delicious soup.

Ingredients For Edikaikong
You would find sliced water leaves in one bowl, sliced ugu leaves, 1.5kg of meat (goat meat and cow liver), pounded crafish/pepper and periwinkles.

Have you seen or eaten periwinkles before, I like them so much. You can purchase already-cleaned periwinkle from most Nigerian market, although it is entirely up to you to decide if you want them or not. You will learn more from the video below

How to prepare ofe edikaikong

Parboil meat with necessary ingredients, 2 cubes of maggi, half cup of onions, salt and other spice of choice. (I like to also add kitchen glory (beef seasoning) while parboiling meats but I am not sure if this spice is available in other countries)

Cook for 10 minutes then add water and cook till meat is 70% softer for consumption, wash the dry fish and stock fish with hot water to remove sand and impurities then add to the cooking meat on fire. (You can add this at the beginning if you have very dry (strong) fish

Slice the ugwu leaves and Water leaves to bits (this is normally done by the traders in the market (in Nigeria) but you can slice at home with the help of a very sharp knife and a chopping board.
Pour the leaves separately in bowls and soak in water, wash to remove sand.

It is advisable to wash the leaves thoroughly before slicing or slice before washing, this is actually the major reason why I chose to slice my leaves myself. You can wash the fluted pumpkin before slicing but you will need to slice the water leaves before washing.

To the boiling meat on fire; 1 cup of Palm oil (250ml), it takes lots of oil to prepare this soup. I used about 300ml to make the soup in the video below.

Add salt and pepper to taste. Cook for 5-10 minutes, be sure the whole combination is boiling with very little trace of water
Stir, taste for salt and pepper before adding the water leaves, stir and allow for about 3 minutes then add the ugwu leaves (fluted pumpkin), stir, add the pounded crayfish/pepper, periwinkles, 1-2 cubes of maggi, stir, taste for salt, add one tablespoon of ground ofor or achi (optional), sprinkle a spoon or a little more, stir. cover half-way and allow to simmer for 3-5 minutes.
making edikaikong

You just made delicious edikaiakong soup, you can serve with Nigerian fufu, semo, wheat, eba, or pounded yam. What you find below is a plate of edikaikong soup plus a combination of prepared wheat and semo.

Here is a simple video

Most people learn faster with videos so we also included a video on making Nigerian Edikaikong soup, you will also learn about all the ingredients used in making this soup and even much more about other Nigerian foods.

I made this video about a week ago in my kitchen, In the Nigerian Kitchen. it gives you a better illustration of the above written article, you will learn about all the ingredients used in making edikaikong soup as well as the processes involved in making the soup.

Make a delicious pot of Egusi Soup – Edikaikong soup

Return to the complete list of All Nigerian Soups

Comments

1. BECKY  February 25, 2016

Dear Chy,

Thanks in a million for the edikaikong soup recipe, I tried it and it came out superb. My husband and my children love it to the extend they want to eat swallow in the morning.

God bless you real good is my prayer for you. I love this site. it is a great help.

2. chioma prisca afonne  February 24, 2016

Thank you chy. I have really learnt alot from this site and your ultimate Nigerian cookbook is the best. I love you ma.

3. Iso  February 24, 2016

tanks alot i just made my own after receiving ur mail and i tell u my husband enjoyed it tanks alot keep the good work going pls i need ice cream tips

4. chiomachi  February 24, 2016

waoooo
    this is wonderful. thanks so much

5. winni  February 24, 2016

I subscribed to your site because my boyfriend is nigerian and I have tried some of your ercipes and it has made him very happy that I have gonethe extra mile to learn. I thank you so much for strengthening our bond thru your recipes

6. Funke  February 17, 2016

This is awesome but was wondering if you had an App…So we could just download and have it at our finger tips.

• Chy Anegbu  February 17, 2016

no app yet, but soon.

7. Oris Peter  January 23, 2016

Pls can I use rodo peppe and tomato to cook my edikaikong soup?

8. pat  December 1, 2015

thanks for ur assistance, I was able to prepare nsala (white soup)for my husband n he love it so much. keep up d good work.

9. oyinoluwa  November 25, 2015

I have got to admit this recipes are gr8. I have prepared water leaf and pumpkin leaves desperately b4 so this should be easy.

10. halima  November 24, 2015

Hi chy,pls can i use frozen leaves ie. Ugwu and waterleaf for my edikang ikong?

• Chy Anegbu  November 25, 2015

I suppose that is possible but I have not tried it. Why not try it and then tell us how it all went.

11. Jayeola  October 26, 2015

This is delicious, i love all of them i will try to cook them.
    my mouth is watery

12. LAGRACIER  October 26, 2015

TNKS ALOT FOR THIS,PLS WHAT IS ASHI OR OFOR AND WHERE DO I GET IT,ENGLISH OR YORUBA NAMES PLEASE.THANKS A LOT

13. Bassey, Unwana-Whyte  October 21, 2015

Great work I really must commend, but your choice of ingredients takes away the identity of the Soup. First of all it’s spelt Edikanikong. Achi and ofo are not native to us. Traditionally the soup is cooked with very little water. The stock from the meat is further allowed to reduce.when the meat is tender, you add your oil, crayfish, dried fish, dried prawns, periwinkles and adjust seasoning (I.e pepper and salt).N/B. Stock fish is boiled with the meat to ensure its soft and enjoyable. Next is your waterleaves. It is best to wash thoroughly every vegetable before cutting it. This way you keep the water soluble vitamins intact. For Edikanikong, the leaves are shredded very finely.the process is repeated severally. This is what gives the soup it’s characteristic texture. Excess water must be squeezed out from both leaves. After the waterleaves have cooked for about 5mins, stir in the ugwu leaves and turn off the heat.
    For me, I turn into containers immediately or place the pot in a basin containing water. This help end the cooking process but at the same time leave the vegetables very fresh and green.

14. claire  October 15, 2015

Hello Nigerian Kitchen,
    I love your work here, especially the video presentation on the soup ( edikanikong soup). Please permit me to point out a few personal observations, being from that part of the country.
    1. The name is edikang-ikong not edikaikong
    2. it is much better to wash the ugwu leaves before slicing and then before adding it to the soup, you squeeze out a little bit of the water. Same thing goes for the water leaves. In fact, it always advisable to squeeze out water from the water leaves before adding to the soup. if you add it like you did in the video, there will always be excess water in the soup. Originally, the soup is not supposed to have much water.
    3. After adding the ugwu leaves, you stir ,cover the pot allow it simmer for just 5mins (not 60mins) then put off the heat and serve. You will discover that the residual heat from the pot will continue cooking the leaves, so In order not to over cook the leaves, allow it for just 5-10mins. That’s the beauty of the soup, fresh green leaves.
    Just try it, you will see a difference& YOU WILL LOVE IT
    That’s how it is made. Thanks . Keep up your good work. Really enjoy it.
    I’m also learning about other soups apart from mine.

• Chy Anegbu  October 19, 2015

Thanks for this tip dear, you are welcome once again to the kitchen

15. odunayo  October 15, 2015

Chy,tnx….i rilli can’t Tnk u enough.its wonderful bin part of ds site.God bless u real good

16. wanny  July 19, 2015

You have no idea how wonderful this site is to me…i never thought i would find such a concise guide to Nigerian foods, especially our soups which are super important. This is simply awesome and you’re awesome Thank you so much. 🙂

17. Doris  July 7, 2015

I love this site,i jst learnt how to cook edikaikong my fiancee is from cross river i’ll surprise him this weekend CHEERS!

18. abosede  July 2, 2015

I love this!

19. yetunde  June 23, 2015

wow is lovely but have question to ask for 30 persons how mach fluted pumpkin leaf and water leaf will go to cook edikiakon soup

20. Pricilia  May 20, 2015