The Nigerian edikaikong soup has over the years topped the list of Nigerian popular soups because of its nutritional value and ease of preparation.
This soup is native to the efiks, people from cross river state. The name edikaikong simply translates to “vegetable soup”

I make more of this soup than every other Nigerian soup simply because it is likely the best source of vitamins known to me.

The only downside to this soup is that it loses its nutritional value when refrigerated over a long period of time. It is advisable to make what would be enough for few days, one week at most. (but that is if you care about its nutritional value, some folks don’t remember that part)
Edikaikong

Here are all the ingredients for making Nigerian edikaikong soup, you can reduce or increase depending on the number of people you are looking to feed.

Ingredients For Edikaikong

Serving 6×2
Stock fish head (medium size)
500g Dried fish or roasted fish
1 cup of ground or pounded crayfish
Waterleaf (10-12 cups)
Fluted pumpkin (ugwu leaf) (6-7 cups)
1 cup of palm oil
Meat of choice (preferably assorted meat)
Salt and pepper to taste
Maggi or knorr cube (3-4)
1 cup of Periwinkles (optional)
2 spoons of ofor or achi
Half cup of onions

Below are the images of some of the ingredients used for edikaikong soup, I like to pound my pepper/crayfish whenever I am making this delicious soup.

Ingredients For Edikaikong
You would find sliced water leaves in one bowl, sliced ugu leaves, 1.5kg of meat (goat meat and cow liver), pounded crafish/pepper and periwinkles.

Have you seen or eaten periwinkles before, I like them so much. You can purchase already-cleaned periwinkle from most Nigerian market, although it is entirely up to you to decide if you want them or not. You will learn more from the video below

How to prepare ofe edikaikong

Parboil meat with necessary ingredients, 2 cubes of maggi, half cup of onions, salt and other spice of choice. (I like to also add kitchen glory (beef seasoning) while parboiling meats but I am not sure if this spice is available in other countries)

Cook for 10 minutes then add water and cook till meat is 70% softer for consumption, wash the dry fish and stock fish with hot water to remove sand and impurities then add to the cooking meat on fire. (You can add this at the beginning if you have very dry (strong) fish

Slice the ugwu leaves and Water leaves to bits (this is normally done by the traders in the market (in Nigeria) but you can slice at home with the help of a very sharp knife and a chopping board.
Pour the leaves separately in bowls and soak in water, wash to remove sand.

It is advisable to wash the leaves thoroughly before slicing or slice before washing, this is actually the major reason why I chose to slice my leaves myself. You can wash the fluted pumpkin before slicing but you will need to slice the water leaves before washing.

To the boiling meat on fire; 1 cup of Palm oil (250ml), it takes lots of oil to prepare this soup. I used about 300ml to make the soup in the video below.

Add salt and pepper to taste. Cook for 5-10 minutes, be sure the whole combination is boiling with very little trace of water
Stir, taste for salt and pepper before adding the water leaves, stir and allow for about 3 minutes then add the ugwu leaves (fluted pumpkin), stir, add the pounded crayfish/pepper, periwinkles, 1-2 cubes of maggi, stir, taste for salt, add one tablespoon of ground ofor or achi (optional), sprinkle a spoon or a little more, stir. cover half-way and allow to simmer for 3-5 minutes.
making edikaikong

You just made delicious edikaiakong soup, you can serve with Nigerian fufu, semo, wheat, eba, or pounded yam. What you find below is a plate of edikaikong soup plus a combination of prepared wheat and semo.

Here is a simple video

Most people learn faster with videos so we also included a video on making Nigerian Edikaikong soup, you will also learn about all the ingredients used in making this soup and even much more about other Nigerian foods.

I made this video about a week ago in my kitchen, In the Nigerian Kitchen. it gives you a better illustration of the above written article, you will learn about all the ingredients used in making edikaikong soup as well as the processes involved in making the soup.

Make a delicious pot of Egusi Soup – Edikaikong soup

Return to the complete list of All Nigerian Soups

Comments

1. vivian  September 19, 2018

I want to make the soup and someone said that I will add ukazi leave too. I mean the grinded one is it right or wrong because the things you listed here about how to cook the soup ukazi is not included

• Chy Anegbu  September 20, 2018

Okazi is not park of edikaikong. you only use ukazi when you are making afang soup.
      Thanks

2. EZE  August 8, 2018

a good job. we love effort so much.

3. Miracle  May 28, 2018

Wow, thanks alot, my dad love the soup so much
    Finally hv learnt how to cook edikaikong soup
    couldn’t believe a rivers bea, can finally cook one of calabar dish,
    Kudos to you guyz

4. Abigail  October 26, 2017

Y r we making use of d archi or ofor

• Chy Anegbu  October 27, 2017

It optional.

5. Aminat  August 5, 2017

Pls can edikaikong soup be taking with white rice

• Chy Anegbu  August 8, 2017

Why not, as long as you enjoy it. 😀

6. Khadija  June 30, 2017

Hi mum, pls I have a question. Can I add fresh tomatoes in this soup (Edikaikong)?

• Esther  July 24, 2017

No, tomatoes are not used in cooking edikangikong soup. if you add tomatoes then you’re definitely not going to be cooking edikangikong.

7. Evelyn  April 22, 2017

This is great. I have heard alot about this edikaikong soup but wondered how to go about it since I don’t have friends from cross rivers state. I am trying it today, hope it turns out good like urs.

8. Oluwakemi  October 14, 2016

I so much love the soup, have learned more from u kudos

9. Peace  August 1, 2016

To remove excess water from your vegetable soup, you first put water leaves in the pot as you are boiling you will see a lot of water coming out, allow the water to dry then add oil, stock fish and dry fish, next is your ground pepper and crayfish before you add ugu leaves, don’t cook for long after u add ugu leaves . the only water that should be in your vegetable soup is from your meat stock and use small water to boil the meat Thanks

10. cynthia  July 24, 2016

You don’t use crayfish?

• Chy Anegbu  July 25, 2016

I did use crayfish, When you are making edikaikong soup, crayfish is a must. please read the recipe to the end. thanks.

11. Best  July 18, 2016

I cant wait because Am giving this soup a try very soon.I hope my family will like it. Thanks

12. clara  July 17, 2016

Nice work for the none efiks and ibibios to start enjoying this swt meal. But in the efik way of cooking edikangikong soup, there’s no ofor or achi added to it. It’s mainly vegetable leaf and waterleaf. Nice job here.

13. Busayo  June 23, 2016

Awesome! Thanks for these tips on cooking Edikanikong soup. It is very helpful. It wasn’t my first attempt anyway, an akwa-ibom friend taught me about 13 years ago but I just gamble anytime I need to cook cos I’m no longer in touch with her. But these step-by-step procedure really helped. Thanks

14. Dipo  May 19, 2016

Yeap, I think you have some good piece here, I must say and good job well done, But I have not seen anything on Obe Abula(Gbegiri & Ewedu Soup) I mean beans soup. most men love it but they may not mention it. I remember a day that I came back from Office and my wife served me a freshly prepared Abula Soup and Amala, I wish u could know how excited I was. cos it has long I ate the combination.

15. tina  April 2, 2016

chy, please can I use green vegetables in place of d ugwu leaf cus there’s no ugwu here.

16. TESCO  March 28, 2016

Nice one, pls note that vegetables is the last ingredient to add…allow it to simmer for 1 to 2 minutes….edikaokong is ready

17. Amanda  March 28, 2016

Thank you so much chy,i made egusi soup using your recipe and it was so good. God bless u