Moi moi (beans pudding) is one of such Nigerian foods that are loved by every Nigerian. It is made of beans and some other ingredients.
The process of making moin moin (as some people call it) is a little bit complicating but I will try to be as detailed as possible.

I am making videos for all the known Nigerian foods; I just want you to be able to make them easily.

Here are the Ingredients I used while making the plate of moi moi below, you are free to increase the quantity of ingredients or reduce them depending on the number of persons you are looking to serve. These ingredients would serve six persons.

• 1 kg of Mackerel
  • 7 Cooked Eggs (optional)
  • Half cup of vegetable oil
  • Maggi (seasoning, 2 to 3 cubes)
  • Salt to taste.
  • 1 cup of sliced onions
  • Tatashe or shobo (about 5 to 10, it add the reddish color)
  • Crayfish (1 cup)
  • 3 cups of beans

how to make moi moi
What you find above are the images some of the ingredients for making beans pudding as well of that or ground moin moin on the left and right respectively.

There is a special kind of beans (moi moi beans) used for making beans pudding in Nigerian but you can substitute with any other type of beans if you live outside Nigeria.

You can use the cooked eggs, corned beef, fish of any kind or a blend of both to make moi moi. Here I used fish and eggs, I simply parboiled the fish, removed the center bones and split into smaller pieces

How to Make Moi Moi

Please add the beans into a bowl, sprinkle a handful of water and start squeezing with your hands. This is the easiest way to wash beans; you would be through in 20 minutes. You can add a little more water but don’t allow it to soak; continue squeezing until it starts shading off the outer coat, you’d probably be doing this for about 3 minutes.
When it seems like a good amount of the beans have shaded off their outer-coat, add enough water to fill the bowl, the outer coat would rise to the top, sieve and continue squeezing. At some point there would be just very few that have not shaded off their outer coat, work on them and keep washing.

Wash the beans to remove the outer coat, keep squeezing, washing and sieving till you are left with the white beans then you can prepare for the grinding part. Below is the video that shows you how to wash moi moi beans.

How To Peel (Wash) Beans Video

Most people spend their entire evening washing beans, here is how to do it in just 8 minutes.

There are people in Nigeria that render the service of grinding food stuff like moi moi or tomatoes in large quantity

Split the red tatashe or shobo into two halves to remove the seeds at the center, this practice is necessary because the seeds add a bitter unpleasant taste to moi moi. Wash and also pluck off the green stem at the top.

What I do at this point is to add all of them (beans, onions, crayfish and tatashe or shobo) in a small clean bucket and take to the commercial grinding mill.

You can use a smart blender for this if you have one, I used my semi-smart blender and it didn’t do a perfect job but it was good enough.

Parboil the fresh /frozen fish, pick out from the water then pieces the fish with your fingers, not really squashing (leave in bits) Add this to the mixture. At this point you can also add corned beef in place of the fish or a blend of both.

Below is the image of my favorite moi moi (beans pudding)
Moi moi (beans pudding)
While still in the bowl, add the oil just pour into the ground beans – about half cup, add 2 cubes of maggi seasoning, the fish water (fish stock) (which must not be over half cup or so) salt to taste. Taste the entire mixture.
ground moi moi
The egg can be dropped on top after the moi-moi has been distributed in cooking plates, if you want to use eggs.

Distribute in as many plates as possible, some people use moi-moi wrappers for this purpose. After the distribution you can drop into the cooking pot.

If you are cooking with plates, you can drop the plates on top of each other but you must drop tiny logs of woods or pieces of clothes at the bottom of the pot to avoid burning (some people use the stem of the moi-moi-wrapper), you don’t really need them if you are careful.
making moi moi
Drop the plates in the pot and add water simultaneously making sure it doesn’t top the first plate. Then cover tightly and cook for about 40 to 60 minutes adding water at interval to avoid burning or too much water that would run into the plates.

This part is monitored closely because if you allow the pot to dry the plates would start melting especially if you are using plastic plates. Note that plastic plates can cook for hours without melting or getting burned, the exception is when the pot is completely dried.

You can bring out one of the plates after cooking for 40 minutes to check if it is done, check again after ten minutes, once it is done, allow to cool off for 30-60 minutes; then serve with pap (akamu), rice or custard

Nigerian moi moi (beans pudding) can also be served alone, I love it.

Compare Moi Moi & Other Breakfast Recipes

Moi Moi Video Recipe

Comments

1. The Nigerian Kitchen  November 8, 2013

Hello Olufunmi, thanks for your comment. You can purchase my eBook from the Sales Page Here, Thanks dear.

2. onyinye  November 21, 2013

This site is awesome….cant wait to make some moi moi tomorrow….well done chy

3. Nykkie  January 7, 2014

This is truly awesome!!! I’ve been looking through a couple of your recipes and I can see that u have done a really good job. Thank u so much for the info. P.s. Do u have steps on how to make Gbegiri? (that’s actually what brought me to your site. Thx a lot.

4. sheun  January 24, 2014

thumbs up to u…….i love ur site

5. chinyere  March 8, 2014

Amazing!!! Exactly the same way I make moi moi.thank you

6. Lizbeth  May 20, 2014

Hello.this happens to be one of the greatest sites i have come across!..your recipes are delicious.actually am a Kenyan and would love to learn how to cook nigerian food.thank you so much and be blessed.

7. Daisy  August 5, 2014

i am so satisfied with your recipe because it is quite explicit and following this, will bring out something really delicious.I am going to make a try tomoro bcos i ve never made moi moi before.Thanks

8. Olubanjo Bosede  November 4, 2014

I wonder how u are able to do everything perfectly. U are a genius. I’ve learnt a lot from ur site. I will try this moi moi this weekend. Thanks.and keep it up.

• Chy Anegbu  November 7, 2014

Bosede, thanks for your comment. Chy

9. omolara  November 11, 2014

My problem with moi moi is dat wen I prepare it, it is always kind of too soft. I want to get it right pls

• Chy Anegbu  November 20, 2014

Have you tried it exactly the way we did it on this page? do you wash your own beans or buy dried ground moi moi beans? it could be anything.

10. Jesse McDonald Sr.  November 11, 2014

God bless you I have cooked for many many years and then I finally brought your Ultimate Cookbook and learned a lot of new techniques it increased my cooking range, I like your website keep up the good work I try to cook all your recipes. I’m looking forward to gettingyour e cookbook with dvds lol to you will send more comments later. Enjoyed your fruit salad.

• Chy Anegbu  November 20, 2014

Hello Jesse, thanks for your comment, I read all of them. I am delighted that you are making good use of the COOKBOOK

11. onyi  November 27, 2014

Hi Chy, I did buy d e-book but I’ve not been using it. Today I made moi moi following ur recipe & method, & it was da bomb. My hubby has asked me to get d hard copy of ur cookbook, pls how do I get it.
    Also do u have a cookbook for snacks, drinks & all d other orishirishi or can they be found in d cookbook?
    Thank

• Chy Anegbu  November 30, 2014

Sure, you can call 08035051468 for the cookbook now.

12. Loveth  November 27, 2014

Hi Chy, U are really great. I am lucky for subscribing to your weekly letter. Pls is there any other way of getting your cookbook except online? keep up the good work and I anxiously await your next delicacy post.

• Chy Anegbu  November 30, 2014

You can call David on 08035051468 for more on getting the book. Thanks.

13. Funke  February 9, 2015

Nice job!! Will be so addicted to this site…… yayyyy

14. Alero  February 27, 2015

Hi chy
    looks nice will try.
    pls I have a grounded beans how can I use this for moi moi. Pls explain how to do the moi moi, with a granded dry white beans.
    Thanks for your wonderful recipes
    Alero.

• Chy Anegbu  February 27, 2015

Haven’t use ground dried beans before, but I suppose you have to mix with water first, allow for 30-60 minutes before adding the rest of the ingredients. You will have to blend the tatashe, onions and crayfish then.

15. Tee  February 27, 2015

Hi Chy, your recipes have been truly awesome. Please keep up the good work.

16. Janice  April 22, 2015

Nice job…..! Keep it up.

17. Onyeka  May 22, 2015

Please my moi moi always turns out soft. I am also trying to make it right now as we speak but it’s already soft and has been cooking for nearly 2 hours. What should I do

• Chy Anegbu  May 26, 2015

Do you grind your beans by yourself? beside, moi moi should be soft while it is cooking, it solidifies several hours after cooking.
      I think 45-60 minutes is enough for moi moi.

18. jocken  June 15, 2015

Waw very interestin big aunty,I wil kip listenin to u as a bachellor

19. Adetutu  October 3, 2015

Yaaaay….moi moi is one of my favourite but stressful

20. maimunah  October 21, 2015

It’s nice to have different recipes on this site please I will love to have your books if possible a video explanation on directions too. Thankx