Ogbono soup (draw soup) is one of the most popular soups in Nigeria. Here, you will learn how to make this delicious soup and why it falls into the list of Nigerian popular soups.
You will also find a video on making Nigerian Ogbono (ogbolo) soup at the bottom of this page.

While searching the web I have learned that there are over forty different soups that are eaten in Nigeria and there are probably about a hundreds of other foods, the list would likely run into thousands if both fruits were counted.

Here we talked about the process involved in making Nigerian draw soup. This soup is actually easy to prepare because almost all of its ingredients could be prepared by traders in the market, making it very easy for the cook.

Ogbono soup
What you find above is a delicious plate of ogbono soup, I used just a handful of uziza leaves

Although, most people prefer this soup without leaves, the video below was made with bitter leaves. You can substitute different leaves for most Nigerian soups, this soup can also be made with fluted pumpkin leaves. I have even eaten ogbolo soup that was made with uha leaves by my grandmother several years ago. So you can go ahead and experiment wildly!

Here are all the ingredients for making Nigerian Ogbono Soup, it would serve about 6×2 persons ( the remainder could be refrigerated for up to two weeks)
Assorted meat 1.5kg
2 cups of ogbono seeds
Stock fish head (medium size)
1 medium size dry catfish
1 cup of crayfish (ground)
Fluted pumpkin (a bunch)
1 teaspoon of ogiri or ground dawadawa or okpei (local ingredients) (optional)
250ml of palm oil
salt and pepper to taste.

Serving: 6×3.

Ogbono Ingredients
From top : Stockfish head, ground ogbono seed, assorted meat, dried catfish and bitter leaves (Onugbu).

Assorted meat is always preferred above all other types of meats in Nigeria. This is just different parts of a cow, from the intestine to the tripe (shaki), kidney, liver, heart and also red meat (beef).

Like I stated above. This soup is very easy to prepare, you can grind/blend ogbono seeds with a blender or hand grinding machine. This can either be done at home or by the trader who sold it to you in the market (if you live in Nigeria).

Selecting the right Ogbono seed and other ingredients.

Most people don’t know the difference between the authentic and the fake ogbono seeds, the best approach would be to buy from a trusted trader. Although there is just very little difference between the two, the only difference is that one has better elasticity.
Another ingredient that has a direct effect on any Nigerian soup is the kind of dry fish used, I like to use the round dry cat fish. It is sold in most Nigerian markets and African shops, if you can get your hands on a good one it tastes nice in soups

I made this soup with bitter leaves you might want to boil the bitter leaves with water for ten to fifteen minutes, this technique would further reduce the bitter tastes and also soften the leaves (some people also add a little bit of edible potash just to hasten the whole process but I highly advice against this practice because it can change the entire texture of your soup thereby decreasing the nutritional value.

How to Make Ogbono Soup

Soak the dry fish and stock fish with hot water for few seconds, then wash.
break the fish and remove the center bone.

Here is how to make Nigerian ogbolo or Ogbono soup.

Parboil your meat the normal way, with all the necessary ingredients (2 seasoning cubes, teaspoon of salt, onions, teaspoon of your favorite beef spice).

Ask them for beef spice at the grocery store or local market, there are different brands.

Add water to the meat after about ten minutes and cook till it is soft enough for consumption and the water is almost dried (just about 1 cup left), You will need to add 7 cups of water at this point. Add the washed dry fish and stock fish, 250ml of palm oil, ground crayfish.

cooking ogbono soup
Stir, cover and cook for 10-15 minutes.

Add salt and pepper to taste, add another seasoning cube, add the ground ogbono seeds, stir and cook for another five minutes.
making ogbono soup

Boiling Ogbono soup

Taste your soup. (you can add more salt, pepper or seasoning cube)

Add the vegetables.
add bitterleaves

Stir and allow to simmer for three minutes after adding the bitter leaves (as below)

You just made a very delicious Nigerian ogbono soup
pot of ogbono soup

Video For Ogbono Soup

What you see above is the video for making Nigerian Ogbono soup, I had to list all the ingredients used as well as a step by step detailed instruction for making this delicious Nigerian soup, Enjoy!

Compare other Nigerian soups

Okra soup in Nigeria

Comments

1. Kelechi  April 1, 2015

I love this soup too. But, egusi has to be my favorite.

2. DOREEN  May 30, 2015

Can I Add Dawadawa After Putting Everytin?

• Sandra  April 18, 2019

Yes…i always add to mine….buh i prefer the steer fry method…where i fry the ogbono first to bring out the nutty aroma n flavor!

3. Damilola  July 13, 2015

Have bin eager to make assorted ogbono soup for my husband all dis while but I ve no idea of how to go about it. Am rily about dis procedures. A big tnx to the Nigerian kitchen.

4. Temitope  July 31, 2015

Nice and easy method of cooking ogbono but i did not see you add pepper in the video, i guess it was an oversight though it was mentioned as one of the ingredients.

• chidi anan
      chidi anan  July 31, 2015

You can add the pepper at any point in time, from when you added crayfish to when you added the leaves.

5. helen gideon emmanuel  August 27, 2015

Ogbono can dissolve smoothly in hot water also: just add it to the pot of boiling meat and give it a few seconds while turning it at the same time and that will do.

6. val  October 24, 2015

for the lady who wanted a recipe on bread, u can do chicken mayo sandwich. after u have boiled ur chicken with all d seasons, u blend and then mix with mayonnaise. u can add some bits of fresh parsley leaves, salt to tase and black pepper. spread d mixture on ur bread and ur sandwich is good to go

7. Don-Harry  February 25, 2016

Bravoo Madam Chy.. U just hit the point and easy for a beginner to comprehend ..
    Uh lala the soup taste yummy

8. ujunwa  February 25, 2016

I will try ur method of ogbono soup chy

9. lizzy  February 25, 2016

I am madly in love with draw soup. I made ogbolo soup yesterday even my Hubby loved it.

10. sophy  February 25, 2016

hi chy. you are indeed a good cook. nice recipe for ogbono soup. its actually one of my tribal soup. its well enjoyed with pounded yam or soft eba. keep it up

11. sophy  February 25, 2016

nice one katie. a true daughter of the edo soil

12. tina edith tetteh  February 26, 2016

to know d good ogolo seed, wen u pick a handul, its fresh and a bit cloudy but d bad ones are old and dark. I use to prepare my ogbolo this. way till I met my friend and neighbor. she puts d ogbolo in. a. plate add plenty oil and stir while. meshing it too. den she heats it til everything dissolves. then she pours it to d boiling meat on fire. u will love it. very elastic…..

13. Osaro  February 26, 2016

Nice one Chy,

You should not use onions to boil your meat when making ogbolo soup, cos onion reduces the elasticity by the time it’s cool.

Osaro
    Edo woman

14. magravine  February 26, 2016

Chy you rock! I have been enjoying your recipes. Keep it up and God bless you

15. Uche Obadike  February 27, 2016

It seems like each ingredient has its own time to be added in the soup while preparation is going on. Sounds like mathematics to me.I always shove everything inside at once and go my way.No wonder my mother calls my soup cut and nail.Am I not right to think that cooking is a woman’s thing?.Now I know why my wife’s and my sister’s soups tastes a lot better than mine.Sometimes I force myself to eat my own It seems like each ingredient has its own time to be added in the soup while preparation is going on. Sounds like mathematics to me.I always shove everything inside at once and go my way.No wonder my mother calls my soup cut and nail.Am I not right to think that cooking is a woman’s thing?

16. sharifat  March 5, 2016

it is delicious in deed. but my problem is that here in north we don’t have much leaves.

17. Temitayo  March 24, 2016

I use to heat the palm oil and dissolve the ogbono before cooking it. Thanks a million for this site I’m loving it. I’ve also tried your fried rice recipe but I use tumeric in place of curry and it was fantastic. I love you Chy

18. Mrs. Feyi Tijani  April 12, 2016

Chy, u are one in a million. Your ogbono recipe is awesome. Keep it up. Mind you I love the egusi soup most. But as a typical Lagosian when I cook ogbono I love to add crab and Shaw’s. The yorubas will know what I mean by Shawa and Crabs after adding the offal. Chy keep up the good cooking.

19. jummy  April 13, 2016

Been wanting to make this soup particularly; now I can try. Thanks chy

20. Elizabeth  April 20, 2016

Your site is very informative. In making my ogbolo soup I add okro