Nsala soup is one of the most delicious of all Nigerian soups, this year alone I have made and eaten more of it than any other soup in Nigeria.
I enjoy lots of the foods in Nigeria but there are quite some of them that kinda tastes better and more delicious to me. IMHO.

Melon soup (ofe egusi) for instance is like the number one for me.

The reason is because… sometimes we like to eat a combination of two or more different soups in our home and egusi blends perfectly with most of the soups in Nigeria, sometimes I even blend with nsala soup (also called white soup).

The image below is a combination of both white soup and pounded yam.

nsala2

It is the only soup in Nigeria that is made without palm oil… just like pepper soup and ewedu soup, the use of palm oil is not very necessary. You can use plain beef or assorted.

It is very popular in the south and eastern part of Nigeria, the efiks and igbos are the top makers and consumers of this delicious soup. So if you are dating or married to a man from the south or eastern part of Nigeria, you can try giving him a meal of pounded yam and ofe nsala (as the Igbos call it) tonight.

Below are the ingredients for making this delicious Nigerian soup, the ingredients below would serve about five persons for three consecutive times. Soups in Nigeria can be refrigerated for up to two weeks, most times it is better to make lots of soups and then refrigerate the remainder.

Ingredients For White Soup

Yam (six to eight slices…baby fist size)
Ground crayfish (1 cup)
knorr cubes (3 cubes)
Ground uziza seeds (2 Teaspoons)
Uziza Leaves
Dried or smoked fish (two medium sizes)
Snails (Optional)
Meat of choice {I prefer Goat Meat} (2KG)
Utazi leaves (optional)
Salt and Pepper to taste.
Red Ground Pepper to taste

It would take about sixty to eighty minutes to prepare a delicious pot of nsala soup; although, sometimes it goes a little above that… depending on your speed and proficiency.

In the image below, you find assorted meat, stockfish head, uziza seeds (top of the white plate), uziza leaves, smoked fish and a cup of crayfish
Nsala soup Ingredients

You might wanna start by peeling and boiling the yam, this should be pounded with a mortar and pestle. Pounded yam serve as the thickener but can also be eaten with other Nigerian soups.

Grind the crayfish, uziza seeds, wash and slice the uziza seeds. You should also go ahead and wash the snail in case you are using them. Snails are quite expensive in Nigeria so you can totally omit them.

You can wash snails with alum to remove the slimy fluid, although, you would be amazed to learn that there are people in Nigeria that cooks snails with the slimy fluids, sometimes without even removing the shell.

I am talking about a delicious Ijaw Recipe – Keke Fieye

Parboil the asssorted meat with all the necessary ingredients, I would use two cubes of knorr, a pinch of salt, half cup of sliced onions and half sachet of kitchen glory (beef seasoning). I made this soup with assorted beef, it’s usually a combination of different parts of cow meat – intestine, tripe, liver etc. I also added few slice of goat meat.
Parboil the meat for about twenty to forty minutes… until it is soft enough for consumption then you can go ahead and add the hot-water-washed dry fish. This could be added earlier if you are using a strong dry fish like mangala. Add about 3 cups of cold or boiled water.

The amount of water for nsala soup depends on the ingredients/thickener available and the number of people that you are making the soup for.

Boil the combination for another ten to twenty minutes until they are both soft for consumption then go ahead and add the ground crayfish, uziza seed and ground red pepper (pls taste before adding red pepper, the uziza seeds are also very pepperish).

Taste your soup at this time and add the remaining half of kitchen glory or a cube of knorr/salt to improve the taste if it doesn’t taste nice yet.

You can go ahead and add the pounded yam, you can add half and watch the soup for the next five minutes, if it is not thick enough you can add a little more; I just don’t like the soup to be very thick. I like a very light nsala soup, it tastes better that way.

You can now go ahead and add the sliced uziza and utazi leaves. The utazi should be used sparingly for white soup; the reason is just to add a faint bitter taste.

Allow for the next few minutes and you can go ahead and serve your delicious ofe nsala with pounded yam, fufu or eba.

Video For Nsala Soup (white soup)

Here is a simple video for making the popular white soup, although we are gonna come out with a better video soon but this would give you a clue as to what the soup really looks like.

Compare Nsala Soup & other Soups

I love this soup and Pounded Yam here

How to Make delicious Pot of Okra Soup (ofe Okro)

I would like to see your comment below, do you like this delicious Nigerian soup?.

Comments

1. Patience  April 16, 2016

This soup is one of my favorites. But I want to ask if one can use cocoyam as the thicker instead of yam. Thanks

2. Osas Omoh  May 4, 2016

Sorry but Igbos make the best Nsala soup. The uziza leaf and taxi leaf you used is too much and also the soup is too thick, Nsala is best when it’s a bit runny but in all you thanks for sharing your own tips.

3. Precious Felix  May 13, 2016

This is awesome, among all the blogs online u are the only one that got tge real receipe and direction on how to prepare white soup. U are simply the best. Keep it up.

4. favour  May 28, 2016

hmm tank u so much u just taught me how to make ma husbands favourite soup (nsala soup) but is d uziza seed very important or optional?

• Chy Anegbu  May 30, 2016

Yes, Uziza is very important, except you want to avoid it for personal reason. But you will not get the same aroma and taste of Nigerian Nsala soup.

• ann  December 22, 2017

Can ogiri be used as well?

5. Bridget Viashimah  May 30, 2016

Thanks for the great work you are doing. Beneficial to me.

6. precious  May 31, 2016

Keep up the good work. Please can I use cocoyam instead of yam

7. Amara  June 8, 2016

Weldon Ma, please I will like to try out your recipe but scared of adding uziza seed, heard its capable of aborting a child, cos iam pregnant and so want to eat this soup.

• Chy Anegbu  June 13, 2016

Uziza is a major part of nsala soup. I think you should wait until you deliver.
      There are just too many soup that would be great for your condition.

8. Celestina  June 19, 2016

Hmmm, nawa ooo What a great woman u are! may God bless u ma and a weldone job to u.

9. mrs Atiko  July 1, 2016

Very good site, welldone

10. nwamaka  July 26, 2016

Gosh! How on earth did I Land on this site? God will surely bless you Chy. I’ve always been afraid of the kitchen for fear of not knowing what to cook, but now, I can’t wait to test every single recipe of yours

11. opeyemi  October 6, 2016

Please what is this Uziza leaves in Yoruba or the popular English name

12. Chocolate  October 11, 2016

Pre, point of correction, Nsala soup is igbo soup and not calabar soup. It’s own by the igbo people and not Calabar people.

• Chy Anegbu  October 11, 2016

Oh, noted. There are several verieties of nsala soup. The calabar version however, is the most popular.

13. Chichi  November 21, 2016

I have been looking for this and I can’t wait to cook it for my husband. Thanks so much

14. Happiness chinwe  December 30, 2016

I love nsala soup. Thanks for the recipe. How can I get ur cookbook and how much pls.

15. Safiya  January 26, 2017

Hi, hmmm tnx even though am a Hausa woman i really enjoy your recipes and it has added to my menu thus i now have more
    for my family. Thanks.

16. Genevieve  March 25, 2017

Thanks for this recipe, I just finished cooking it for my husband and he’s busy leaking his hand instead of saying thank you.

• Chy Anegbu  March 28, 2017

Lol, kudos to you my dear.

17. Dillishnelly esther  January 21, 2018

I have not tasted it before but im happy for getting dis knoweldge in case i get married to a man dat loves nsala soup thanks dear

18. Caro  February 12, 2018

I just tried Nsala soup for the first time on Saturday after going through your recipe and it came out just like the picture you have here. Thanks alot for helping me acquire this new skill.

19. flexzy (eddy boy)  March 26, 2018

am flexzy, am a yong man who love to be friendly in my kitchen to great good meals and fresh drinks. i lov your site to see yr wanderful perfomance from yu kitchen.

20. abigail anya  April 14, 2018

Wow!! I tried this nsala recipe and it came out yummy.What a great way to end the day.

Leave a Reply to Oluchi A.