Ofada sauce is stew for ofada rice. I must confess that the demand for this recipe in the last few months is over the roof.
So many people wanted to learn how to make ofada sauce/stew. The yorubas call it ayamase.

This recipe plus the video at the bottom of this page shows you exactly how to make ofada rice sauce. I suppose you know how to boil rice. 😉 That would be discussed briefly at the bottom of this post.

For long I wondered why people were so crazy about ofada rice and stew. Perhaps it was just the iru (locust beans) that makes the difference or the fact that it is made with just peppers and the probability of ending up with soured taste (as in the case of tomato stew) is close to zero.

One lady in particularly sent me this message “pls teach me how to make ofada sauce/stew before this restaurant finish my money o” 😀 funny right.
ofada-rice-sauce
Ofada sauce is made with a combination of green peppers and red peppers, then assorted meat, dried fish, a combination of palm oil and red oil (as in this case). Below is the complete list of ingredients that I used while making the food you are seeing above.

Observe the plate carefully.
making-ofada-stew
I used 3 different kinds of peppers. Green pepper should be – like 60 percent, tatashe or shobo (pls remove the seeds), should be about 30 percent. Then one cup of sliced onions. Grind all together.

Two spoons of ground crayfish
Green Peppers
Red peppers
Tatashe or shobo
2 cups of sliced onions
Assorted meat – 500g
palm oil (half cup)
Vegetable oil (one and half cup)
2 cubes of maggi

Grind the green peppers/red peppers/one cup of sliced onions together.

Don’t forget to remove the seeds in the green pepper and tatashe or shobo before grinding. The seeds can completely alter the taste of your ofada sauce.

Ofada sauce or ofada rice sauce is usually made with bleached palm oil. But I have learned that bleached palm oil is not healthy at all. So use a combination of half cup of palm oil and 1.5 cup of vegetable oil. (See the video below)

For me, it is not just about delicious foods, they must be healthy too. Over the years I have spent countless number of hours talking about healthy Nigerian foods and showing people how to make their foods healthy.

I even have a free ebook on that topic – “The Science of Healthy Nigerian Foods.” If you are subscribed to my free weekly newsletters you should have access to it. Otherwise, Subscribe Here to get it.

Parboil your assorted meat with 2 cubes of knoor, half cup of sliced onions and a pinch of salt. Add water and allow to cook until it is tender.

Below are some of the prepared ingredients. Pre-cooked meat in one plate, ground peppers/onions in another plate, then sliced onions in another plate. Then iru (locust beans) sits in the plate at top-left corner.
making ofada rice

Set a clean pot on heat; add the oil (half cup of palm oil and one and half cup of vegetable oil). Allow bleaching/ heating for just 2 minutes. Add the remaining sliced onion, the more the merrier. Stir and allow to fry for a minute.

Add the ground pepper combination and allow to fry for the next 10-15 minutes. Remeber to stir occassionally to avoid burning. this is exactly what you get at this point.
making ofada sauce

Add the pre-cooked assorted meat; add two spoons of ground crayfish, a cube of maggi (optional) and salt to taste. Also add the locust bean (iru). Stir and allow to simmer for 5 minutes. This is just how to make ofada sauce or stew (Ayamase).
ofada stew

Preparing the ofada rice is the easiest part. Pick out stones and sands from the rice and cook the same way you already know to cook white rice.
Ofada rice is also called abakiliki rice; some are beautiful and robust, while others are not. The best is the one you see in this post. I particularly dislike the kind with dark ends.

Ofada Sauce/Stew – Other Yoruba Foods

See Why You Must Eat Healthy Nigerian Foods

How To Fry Tomato Stew and Enjoy it

This is how to Enjoy Efo Riro

ofada-image

Here is the video for making ofada rice sauce. Several people have made delicious Ofada sauce by following this video.

Comments

1. Bukade Idowu -Koya  April 15, 2016

Good morning and thank you for wonderful job you’re doing. I’ve enjoyed receiving your mails since I subscribed.
    I want to add a comment regarding the ingredients.
    You mentioned that the seeds in the pepper should be removed.
    In my native Ogun state (the origin of Ofada stew),the seeds are not removed before grinding the pepper. In fact,it is ground with the local grinding stone (things have changed though)
    Generally, yorubas don’t remove seeds from pepper before grinding. I don’t think it has any known side effects.
    Continue the good work you’re doing.
    God bless you.

• Chy Anegbu  April 16, 2016

Thanks for your input @ Bukade Idowu. You can ground both the pepper and seeds when are using just the yoruba pepper species. but then it would be very pepperish. The recipe here used the regular green pepper which helped in terminating souredness and ultimately guaranteed a delicious sauce. 😉

2. Cy  April 15, 2016

Pls can’t the iru be blended?

3. NGOZI  April 16, 2016

Thanks so much Chy for this recipe. Made Ofada sauce for Ofada rice yesterday for dinner and EVERYONE loved it. It was WOW! You are the best darlyn.

4. Onome  April 17, 2016

Lots of love Chy, I am off to the kitchen to prepare my own delicious Ofada sauce. You rock!

5. Joy oladimeji  April 18, 2016

Thks this is a nice one.

6. Chizzy Ugbah  April 18, 2016

Wow. Thanks for this.
    God bless you. ?

7. BimJESU  April 28, 2016

Keep up the good work, Ma.
    With ofada sauce, you can be flexible with the ingredients.
    In fact, in the traditional Yoruba recipe, the following are required; dry pepper(ata gbigbe), lots of onions, unriped tomatoes etc. You can blend the locust beans(iru) with the peppers if you wish. And the meat is fried.
    Majorly, the unriped peppers, onions and unriped tomatoes are blended half way. It must not form a paste, it must not be smooth. Yoruba’s don’t usually remove seeds from peppers, actually, in this recipe, which is Yoruba local dish, the seed is part of its presentation. Most Yoruba’s consume pepper. And there are different types of iru. But for Ofada sauce, Iru woro is commonly used. Iru woro is the unmarshed iru. This is because seeing iru seedlings in the sauce is also part of its presentation. Please ensure you shop for well fragranced iru(locust beans) cause this would enhance the flavour of your sauce. It is good to end up with both delicious and well flavoured pot of stew.
    Thank you!

• Chy Anegbu  April 29, 2016

@bimJESU, Thanks for your wonderful contribution. If most recipes don’t evolve and accomodate closely related ingredients that is easily accessible, it may not be known by many. When you use the popular green pepper, you must remove the seeds. The case is different when you use Yoruba unripe pepper, tomato, etc. In both cases you will certainly end up with ofada suace, one is moderately hot and lush, the other is extremely hot and not smooth. But with same unique Aroma and apeal.

8. Ngozi Nwankwo  May 11, 2016

Thanks for the recipe. I will try it today

9. Joy Okwara  May 16, 2016

I tried Ofada Sauce over the weekend and it was wonderful. thanks for the assistance

10. gladys  May 23, 2016

can I use this normal rice to eat the ofada sauce I mean the common rice like d royal stallion, mama gold etc? please

• Chy Anegbu  May 24, 2016

Sure. why not?

11. BimJESU  May 28, 2016

Alright Ma, thank you. I have learnt from your site. God bless you!

12. Steph  May 31, 2016

I will try this one of these days.

13. Agi Margaret  June 16, 2016

Thank you for sharing this recipe with me, I’ll need more!!!

14. Agi Margaret  June 16, 2016

Pls I’ll like to know if it’s necessary to use d beans (iru) or better still prepare it without d meat!!!

15. oge  June 17, 2016

Chy, u are too much. U keep making food more appetizing. Weldon

16. Yinka  June 18, 2016

Thanks a million time Chy,for this ofada rice sauce.

17. Glory Godwin  June 18, 2016

Waoo this is great. And sweet, I won’t to be like u.

18. ugoiyke  June 18, 2016

Thanks Chy. My family totally loved the delicacy. Keep up the good work.

19. sarah  June 20, 2016

Thanks chy In sure u ar to much I like this this wonderful i Will try this very soon

20. DUROWOJU BRIDGET  June 20, 2016

I cant express my thanks enough.God bless U ma