Puff puff is one of the easiest of all Nigerian snacks, I posted an image of it on my Facebook page and learned that most people have different spelling for it.
The comments that trailed the image on my Facebook page spelt it in different ways and one guy even called it poopoofuu! /only him waka come/. 😀

Thanks to Maryam Kamba for telling us the Hausa name – Panke, We are going to learn how to make puff puff, I suppose it is the easiest of all Nigerian.
Puff Puff Nigeria Snack
I love kpuff kpuff too but not as well as little Onyi, She could eat a lorry load of them and end up smiling and playing around with oily lips. 😀

Here is how to make this delicious snack in Nigeria, It is quite easy to make. It is likely the easiest of all Nigerian snacks, same as chin chin. They could both be made in less than 60 minutes.

The Ingredients : Serving 4 persons

• All-purpose flour (2.5 cups)
  • Salt (half teaspoon)
  • Granulated sugar (3-4 spoons)
  • Ground Seed of nutmeg (2 teaspoons)
  • About 2-3 liters of Vegetable/groundnut oil (for frying)
  • 2 Teaspoons of active yeast

Like most Nigerian foods, there are techniques you need to employ when making this snack, just to be sure you end up with the actual thing. 😀

Something as simple as yeast can mess up your puff puff if you don’t use it well, it happens with several other Nigerian foods. Just follow the instructions completely and you would end up with something really nice. Then you pull out your phone, take a snap and send it to me.

Yeast should be stored in an air tight container, it goes bad when exposed to atmospheric air and thus serves no purpose whatsoever.

Start by washing your hands properly and wipe with a kitchen towel.

Add two and half cups of flour to a bowl, (about 200g), two teaspoons of yeast, add the ground nutmeg, add a pinch of salt to taste, 3 spoons of granulated sugar and start stirring with your hand and make sure they are properly mixed together. Now add 150-200ml of warm water to mix properly, stir with your hand for few more minutes until they are properly integrated together.
puff puff ingredients

puff puff making
Remeber that the standard measuring cup is 250ml, the equivalent is that peak tin milk cup that most market women use for measuring 30 naira garri.

You can taste at this point and add more salt and sugar if there is any need for a little more; then go ahead and stir a little more.

Add enough water so you can actually scoop some in your palm; but not too much water to the point that it would run off through your fingers when scooped, you will learn more about this from the video that is coming soon. Once it is properly mixed together, you will need to tightly cover the mixture in the bowl with either a foil, tray or nylon for about thirty minutes. This gives the yeast the chance to do its assignment.

When you open the covering, it would have risen a little, if it is very foamy, you probably used lots of yeast and your puff puff would have holes in them, but that is not very bad, No holes at all is bad actually.

Set a cooking pot on the fire, I don’t think frying pan would work, except you have really deep frying pan. Allow the pot to dry before adding about 2-3litres of oil. make sure the oil is at least 2-3inch deep, it is not right for the puff puff to rest at the bottom of the pot, it would give it a somewhat flat shape, and people would actually think you made pancake 😀

Once the oil is heated, scoop some in your palm and squeeze into the oil, allowing it to escape through the circle made by your thumb and and index finger. Don’t bother about making it so big, what you drop into the oil will triple in size before it comes out of the oil.
deep frying puff

When you get it right, it should be somewhat spherical and sometimes with a horn. It should float if the oil is properly heated; Continue until the oil is covered. Observe and turn once you see that usual color of puff puff.
You have to be mindful of the heat also, the oil when heated too much could burn the puff puff before it is properly cooked and when it is not heated at all your puff puff gets soaked in too much oil.

Actually, when you drop the bartar into the oil, it may sink first, then rise to the surface.

Fry.
Repeat until you have fried all the bartar. Now that is how to make puff puff. Pull out your phone, take a snap and send it to me, enjoy with your favorite soft drink. Then send some to your neighbors, friends, family, etc.

The video for making puff puff will be out soon, pls subscribe to my free monthly newsletter if you have not don so already.

Comments

1. amaka  September 21, 2015

Pls how many puff puff will u get wit dat quantity of recipe listed?

• Chy Anegbu  September 23, 2015

depending on the size you make them, should be around 15-18 for the standard size.
      Chy

2. Blessing  September 21, 2015

Really onion and red pepper are added to puff puff ooo aunty mi, hv tasted it n its wow! Will make mine soon….thnx

• Chy Anegbu  September 22, 2015

Sure, there is no limit to what we can do with foods.

3. lily  September 22, 2015

Chi, thanks a million for this info. came at the right time. please share more on how to make bean cake.

4. Cindy  September 23, 2015

Thanks for dis cite Chy, am a better cook today. I live in Cotonou and would like to have your book, the ultimate Nigerian cook book, how do I go about it.

5. amaka  September 24, 2015

Cchy I want to post d pic of d puff puff I just did,how will I post it?thanks!

6. TITI  October 28, 2015

Hi chi,thanks for the recipe,it helps a lot. More of it

7. TEMMY  October 29, 2015

thanks a lot ANTY chy but how would I
    get my book cs I want to buy but I leave in ile Ife osun state.

• Chy Anegbu  November 1, 2015

Just call us on 08035051468, we deliver to every city in Nigeria plus 220 other countries. Thanks

8. cynthia  November 6, 2015

Please, is a question actually, can i use deep fryer to fry the puff puff?

9. Izenose  November 21, 2015

Chy I tried this recipe but the dough didn’t have holes it just remained in the position. What didn’t I get right? I used two milk cuos for the measurements as am yet to acquire a scale, Is that measures correct?

• Chy Anegbu  November 22, 2015

watch your yeast, you need properly sealed yeast. don’t buy the tied one that is 50 naira. When you get the sealed one, store it in an air tight container. it turns bad once it is exposed to atmospheric air for as long as 24 hours.

10. Izenose  November 23, 2015

Chy I got it! Am sooo happy it make out very well I think I add too much water the first time, my son usually doesnt like it when buy it home but he finished two balls completely! God bless you ma! Please it’s the festive season can we get recipe for chin chin? Thank you!!!

11. stephanie  December 6, 2015

Thank u mrs anegu d recipe is wonderfull buh red pepper n onion can be added to d mixture too, try n u wud love it

12. Amy  January 16, 2016

Currently Just did my puff puff mixture and waiting for it to rise…im si excited n expectant..hopin it turns out well…how do i send d pic when im done?

13. Jennifer  March 2, 2016

Thanks Aunt Chy, u’re doing a wonderful job by us

14. mojisola  March 27, 2016

I will definitely try it,thanks

15. Kaycee  April 16, 2016

God bless u chy, am enjoying my own copy of ur book.

16. oby  May 26, 2016

Tnx,will try it

17. rhoesy  June 6, 2016

tanks for d ingredent but my puff puff tone out bad bcus i did not get a spherical shape instead it tone out flat al through like beans cake.pls tell wat mistake did i do oo

• Chy Anegbu  June 7, 2016

You should use lots of oil so measures about 4 inches from the bottom of the pot. This allow to puff puff to float and swim around while they fry.

18. zainab  June 7, 2016

Will be trying mine tomorrow cos i’ll be using it to break the fast with my family…Thanks Aunty chy.

19. Olachene  June 29, 2016

This is interesting ma,have learnt a lot. God bless.

20. Viv  July 21, 2016

Lovely tutorial dear. Am excited to try