Puff puff is one of the easiest of all Nigerian snacks, I posted an image of it on my Facebook page and learned that most people have different spelling for it.
The comments that trailed the image on my Facebook page spelt it in different ways and one guy even called it poopoofuu! /only him waka come/. 😀

Thanks to Maryam Kamba for telling us the Hausa name – Panke, We are going to learn how to make puff puff, I suppose it is the easiest of all Nigerian.
Puff Puff Nigeria Snack
I love kpuff kpuff too but not as well as little Onyi, She could eat a lorry load of them and end up smiling and playing around with oily lips. 😀

Here is how to make this delicious snack in Nigeria, It is quite easy to make. It is likely the easiest of all Nigerian snacks, same as chin chin. They could both be made in less than 60 minutes.

The Ingredients : Serving 4 persons

• All-purpose flour (2.5 cups)
  • Salt (half teaspoon)
  • Granulated sugar (3-4 spoons)
  • Ground Seed of nutmeg (2 teaspoons)
  • About 2-3 liters of Vegetable/groundnut oil (for frying)
  • 2 Teaspoons of active yeast

Like most Nigerian foods, there are techniques you need to employ when making this snack, just to be sure you end up with the actual thing. 😀

Something as simple as yeast can mess up your puff puff if you don’t use it well, it happens with several other Nigerian foods. Just follow the instructions completely and you would end up with something really nice. Then you pull out your phone, take a snap and send it to me.

Yeast should be stored in an air tight container, it goes bad when exposed to atmospheric air and thus serves no purpose whatsoever.

Start by washing your hands properly and wipe with a kitchen towel.

Add two and half cups of flour to a bowl, (about 200g), two teaspoons of yeast, add the ground nutmeg, add a pinch of salt to taste, 3 spoons of granulated sugar and start stirring with your hand and make sure they are properly mixed together. Now add 150-200ml of warm water to mix properly, stir with your hand for few more minutes until they are properly integrated together.
puff puff ingredients

puff puff making
Remeber that the standard measuring cup is 250ml, the equivalent is that peak tin milk cup that most market women use for measuring 30 naira garri.

You can taste at this point and add more salt and sugar if there is any need for a little more; then go ahead and stir a little more.

Add enough water so you can actually scoop some in your palm; but not too much water to the point that it would run off through your fingers when scooped, you will learn more about this from the video that is coming soon. Once it is properly mixed together, you will need to tightly cover the mixture in the bowl with either a foil, tray or nylon for about thirty minutes. This gives the yeast the chance to do its assignment.

When you open the covering, it would have risen a little, if it is very foamy, you probably used lots of yeast and your puff puff would have holes in them, but that is not very bad, No holes at all is bad actually.

Set a cooking pot on the fire, I don’t think frying pan would work, except you have really deep frying pan. Allow the pot to dry before adding about 2-3litres of oil. make sure the oil is at least 2-3inch deep, it is not right for the puff puff to rest at the bottom of the pot, it would give it a somewhat flat shape, and people would actually think you made pancake 😀

Once the oil is heated, scoop some in your palm and squeeze into the oil, allowing it to escape through the circle made by your thumb and and index finger. Don’t bother about making it so big, what you drop into the oil will triple in size before it comes out of the oil.
deep frying puff

When you get it right, it should be somewhat spherical and sometimes with a horn. It should float if the oil is properly heated; Continue until the oil is covered. Observe and turn once you see that usual color of puff puff.
You have to be mindful of the heat also, the oil when heated too much could burn the puff puff before it is properly cooked and when it is not heated at all your puff puff gets soaked in too much oil.

Actually, when you drop the bartar into the oil, it may sink first, then rise to the surface.

Fry.
Repeat until you have fried all the bartar. Now that is how to make puff puff. Pull out your phone, take a snap and send it to me, enjoy with your favorite soft drink. Then send some to your neighbors, friends, family, etc.

The video for making puff puff will be out soon, pls subscribe to my free monthly newsletter if you have not don so already.

Comments

1. Meenal  September 8, 2016

Hi Chi thanks for the recipe

2. Grace  September 15, 2016

Yummmmy!!! thanks so much Chy,May God you bless you real good for this great recipe.God will keep and protect your home in Jesus name.

3. FAVOUR  September 27, 2016

wow CHI this is nice keep it up. I will try this and send my pix, many thanks.

4. Ruth Nkem  September 27, 2016

Chy, I am glad to have received this recipe for Puff Puff. I will make it this week-end. I have always looked forward to preparing Puff Puff but do not know how to combine the recipe. More grease to your elbow.

5. Gloria  September 27, 2016

Hello Chy….its been fun since I stumbled on your page and it’s very excited. I love to cook and happy to also learn from a professional. Actually tried your Ofada sauce on Friday and it was awesome. Had planned to get the rice cook book but couldn’t as had a lot of stuffs to attend to. Would try this puff puff out shortly as its my daughter’s weakness especially in parties. Thanks for helping women

6. Goodfello  October 23, 2016

Great efforts there mydear.But couple facts are either missing or not properly represented i.e when u say cups U should specify like 25cl standard glass cup,like 1teaspoon salt & 3spoon sugar-tea or table?like the timing inbetween mixtures & frying and all:cos I was hoping to try some today!In anycase,U’r a help.Love.Godbless

• Chy Anegbu  October 23, 2016

Cup, spoon, teaspoon, half cup, etc are standard for recipe measurement. a
      A cup is 250ml, this facts are known all over the world and explained in detail in my cookbooks. Thanks for your comment.

7. Imaobong  March 10, 2017

Hello Chi, thanks for this recipe i Will try it this week-end

8. Angel  March 13, 2017

Hi chi
    Which is your facebook ID,there seems to be so many Nigeria kitchen.dont know the one to like..

9. teee  March 30, 2017

thanks for the recipe i will try it this weekend

10. Benny  April 23, 2017

Many thanks for the recipe, mine came out very fine today
    , far better than before.

11. Thomas damilola  June 24, 2017

Pls Chy
    How do I know the water measurement, Is 150ml same as a glass cup of water? Guess am not good and conversant with the measurements. Pls can you please help out. I made one n twas watery

12. Lillian  June 24, 2017

Wow dis is great tanks alot u r d best

13. Oma  June 26, 2017

Thanks Dear I was just about to request for it only for me to see it here .You really help a lot .if I may ask,pls can you send the recipe for pizza.Or do you do strictly Nigerian food?

• Chy Anegbu  June 27, 2017

Thanks for your feedback dear, you will find pizza recipe in the ultimate Nigerian cookbook.

14. Nnenna  August 10, 2017

Chy thanks so much for this, I tried mine before now and it turned flat inside the oil😂😂😂. Will try again following your style. Pls can you teach how to bake cake manually without mixer🙏 My daughters birthday is coming up and I promise her we will bake her birthday cake together

15. Blessing  August 30, 2017

Thanks for the update. Please do we have time limit for adding each ingredients? Thank you.

16. Favor  December 15, 2017

why warm water for mixing, and how do we mix the yeast with warm water instead of cold water

• Chy Anegbu  December 20, 2017

Warm water help activate the yeast, very necessary.

17. Amara  January 26, 2018

Thanks for showing me how to make puff puff. How do I add fresh pepper in the mixing?

• Chy Anegbu  January 27, 2018

Just before you start frying.

18. UCHECHI  February 22, 2018

HI,
    SAY I DO NOT HAVE A MEASUREMENT CUP[,
    CAN I USE THE SMALLEST MILK CUP TO REPRESENT YOUR ONE CUP
    THANKS IN ANTICIPATION FOR YOUR RESPONSE.

YOUR ILLUSTRATION WAS VERY WELL ON POINT.

19. mercy  October 10, 2018

Tanx so much me I do wonder y my puff puff is not coming out well not knowing that I won’t add baking powder to it.tanx xo much I will re-try.

20. Grace  January 18, 2019

Thanks Nwanne mmadu! You are simply great!
    Well Done!