Peppersoup is one of the most delicious Nigerian foods. I want to talk about the assorted meat recipe I have come to learn, in the last few years that several recipes exist. This one, however, is made with assorted meat. You will learn about the ingredients/spices used for pepper soup also.
We have different recipes in Nigeria that are made with different kinds of meat and fishes. The most popular is goat meat recipe followed by the assorted cow/goat meat recipe (which includes shaki [cow tripe], pkomo, fresh meat, intestine, liver, and kidney), also we have the cow tail version, Catfish Pepper Soup which is fondly called ‘point and kill’.
Here is how I Make pepper soup with assorted cow meat. I have used the phrase ‘Assorted cow meat’ on several parts of this food blog. If you don’t understand what I mean, here is an explanation. – Assorted cow meat in Nigerian is simply different parts of a cow, it includes plain red beef, cow tripe, liver, kidney, intestine etc.
I used all of those to prepare the plate of pepper soup above as you will also see in the video at the bottom of this page.
Complete list of Pepper soup Ingredients and spices
1 kg of assorted meat (goat or cow)
3 Seeds of Ehu
Scent leaves (a handful)
Sliced Utazi Leaves (optional)(a handful)
2 stock cubes
3 Tablespoons of ground crayfish (optional)
1 cup of sliced onions
Salt and pepper to taste
1 teaspoon Beef seasoning spice
2 garlic cloves
Half-finger of ginger.
Half teaspoon lion Peppersoup spice.
paprika – teaspoon.
There are many brands of beef seasoning spices in Nigeria, you can use anyone. Try different ones with different foods then chose one of the brands and use for all your cooking.
The glass plate contains a seasoning cube and paprika powder. I like my pepper soup a little red, hence the paprika powder.
Assorted goat meat on the other plate. the rest are utazi leaves, pepper (Scotch bonnet) and ehu seeds
Clean the ginger and garlic, pound or blend together.
The seed of ehu is one of the most relevant ingredients just go ahead and break away the outer shell, then go ahead and blend/pound together with the uziza seeds and half cup of crayfish
Slice the onions and utazi leaves and set aside in a plate.
If you are preparing pepper soup with assorted meat you want to wash the meat properly with hot water.
How to make Pepper soup
Start cooking the meat with some simple ingredients. (A seasoning cube, a teaspoon of beef seasoning spice, a teaspoon of salt and half cup of sliced onions).
Cook the meat for just 10 minutes then add about 3 cups of water and cook for 30-50 minutes until the meat becomes tender and easy to chew. You can add another cup of water.
Add the pepper soup spice, the ground ehu, uziza, crayfish, and remaining onions.
Add the Paprika – a teaspoon. Paprika is a spice made from the dried fruit of red bell pepper. It makes my pepper soup somewhat reddish.
Add the sliced utazi, salt and (ordinary) pepper to taste. Allow to boil for another 5-10 minutes and you just made a delicious pot of pepper soup, One of Nigeria’s most popular evening meals.
NOTE: Uziza seeds are very pepperish, be sure to taste before adding scotch bonnet (ordinary pepper).
You can serve alone with a chilled bottle of your favorite drink. Although, I enjoy it better with boiled white rice or yam.
So this is how to prepare pepper soup with intestine, tripe, liver and plain red beef – Assorted meat.
Why not try this out in your kitchen and tell me all about it? Use the comment form below.
Subscribe Below to Receive My Free Weekly Recipes.
Pepper Soup Recipe | Best Spices and Ingredients
- 1 kg assorted meat goat or cow
- 3 Seeds of Ehu
- Scent leaves a handful
- Sliced Utazi Leaves optional(to taste)
- 2 stock cubes
- 3 Tablespoons of ground crayfish optional
- 1 Cup Sliced onions
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 teaspoon Beef seasoning spice
- 2 garlic cloves
- Half-finger of ginger.
- Half teaspoon lion Peppersoup spice.
- Teaspoon Paprika
- Pound or blend the ginger and garlic together.
- NOTE: Uziza seeds are very pepperish, be sure to taste before adding scotch bonnet. Use pepper at your discretion.
- De-shell the calabash nutmeg (Ehu) then go ahead and blend/pound together with the uziza seeds and half cup of crayfish
- Slice the onions and utazi leaves and set aside in a plate.
- Wash the meat and season with a teaspoon of beef seasoning, a teaspoon of salt, half cup of sliced onions and 1 seasoning cube).
- Once the meat boils for 10 minutes add 3 cups of water to it and cook till it becomes tender and chewable.
- Add the pepper soup spice, the ground ehu, uziza, crayfish, and remaining onions.
- Add a teaspoon of Paprika and allow it to boil for 3 minutes.
- Add the sliced utazi, salt and (ordinary) pepper to taste. Allow to boil for another 5-10 minutes and you just made a delicious pot of pepper soup, One of Nigeria’s most popular evening meals.
- pot of peppersoup
- You can serve pepper soup with white boiled rice or yam.
- You can also serve as a side dish
- This video highlights all the ingredients used in making pepper soup and shows you how it is made.
Compare Other Nigerian Desserts
Try my Delicious Spaghetti Recipe