Jollof rice is one of the most simple and easy to make Nigerian food, you’d want to start from here if you are new to Nigerian foods.
Are you married to a Nigerian person and probably looking for an easy to make African Food?
jollof rice recipe is accepted all over the world and the ingredients used are found in every country of the world.
This is how we serve rice in Nigeria. Rice Jollof is usually paired with a salad and fried meat (Chicken, beef, etc). In this case, I added fried ripe-plantain instead of vegetable salad.
In the last 5 years, I have tried my hands on more than 14 different rice recipes and even made an ebook about them.
Let’s start with the jollof rice, somewhere at the bottom of this page I will be dropping the links for other rice recipes.
Fried rice, Caribbean rice, coconut rice, Ofada sauce, stews, and the local Banga rice.
What you find below is a delicious plate of jollof rice plus fried beef.
I made this some weeks back and will be giving you a step by step recipe.
Ingredients for Jollof Rice
4 cups of rice
1000ml of Ground Fresh tomatoes.
50ml Ground Fresh peppers
1 Teaspoon Curry powder
1 teaspoon Thyme
1 teaspoon Nutmeg powder
3 seasoning cubes
2 cups of sliced onions
300ml vegetable or groundnut oil
salt to taste.
2 cloves of garlic
2 fingers of ginger
These are some fresh ripe tomatoes and pepper (scotch bonnet). I think any species of tomato would serve the same purpose, just wash, squeeze out water inside the tomatoes, blend as is, and set aside.
You need around 1000ml for 4 cups of rice.
Alternatively, you could use canned tomatoes or a combination of both canned and fresh (ground tomatoes)
Step by Step Preparation
Season the chicken with a teaspoon of salt, two seasoning cubes, half a teaspoon each of curry and thyme, half a cup of sliced onions then let it sit for some minutes.
Set on heat and let it boil for 10-15 minutes, would take more time to cook if you are using harder chicken.
Set aside the chicken and the stock in different bowls.
Peel off the outer back of the ginger/garlic, pound, or grind.
Parboil rice the normal way, boil about 7 cups of water in a pot, add the four cups of rice and allow to boil for 3 minutes. Then pour out and wash thoroughly with clean water then set aside in a bowl or plastic sieve.
Pick out the parboiled tasty chicken and deep fry, this wouldn’t take about 10 minutes.
Once you are done with frying the chicken, reduce the oil to 250ml (1 cup) just add the remaining one cup of sliced onions, stir for 1-2 minutes, add the ground tomatoes. I like to commence cooking jollof rice with the same oil I used while frying the meat.
Using a fresh oil is just the same as cooking without the beef stock (meat water) which actually holds over 70 percent of the ingredient that is used in making most Nigerian foods, the end result is not the same.
How to Make Nigerian Jollof Rice.
Frying the tomatoes would take about 20 minutes.
Fry until when you lift a portion with your frying spoon you will notice the oil continues to boil in the spoon.
You also notice the tomatoes turning dark.
Once the tomato is well fried, add the meat water (chicken stock) to the fried tomato in the pot, the ground ginger/garlic, half a teaspoon each of curry and thyme, two teaspoons of salt then add 4 cups of water.
1000ml (Please use the recommended cups), add another seasoning cube. Stir and taste, it should taste overly spiced. Don’t worry, once the rice is added the taste would balance.
Then add the rice and cover to cook.
Stir evenly and taste for salt. It should look like this.
Then cover and allow the rice to cook on low heat for 30-45 minutes. Remember that you can add water occasionally.
Turn and serve with the fried meat.
This is just how to make jollof rice, you can serve with the fried meat, salad and maybe a bottle of your favorite drink
By the way, I diped my chicken in tomato sauce.
Make small tomato sauce in a pot, while still on heat add the fried chicken, allow it to heat for few minutes while you continue to turn. Serve chicken and jollof rice as you can see above.
Subscribe Below to Receive My Free Weekly Recipes.
Jollof Rice Recipe
- 4 cups of rice
- 1 kg beef
- 1000 ml of Ground Fresh tomatoes your blender is calibrated, 1000ml = 1 liter
- 50 ml Ground Fresh peppers
- Spices Curry, Thyme, Delice, Nutmeg, Chicken spice
- 3 Seasoning cubes
- 2 cups of sliced onions
- 300 ml Vegetable oil
- Salt to taste.
- 2 Cloves of garlic and
- 2 Fingers of ginger
- Start by precooking your meat with the listed spices (a teaspoon each of thyme, curry, and salt; two seasoning cubes and sliced onion) Allow the meat to cook till tender.
- Peel of the outer back of the ginger/garlic, pound or grind.
- Parboil 4 cups of rice, wash and set aside in a plastic bowl.
- Once the meat is tender, seperate from the stock and deep fry.
- Fry the ground tomatoes until it is turning day (about 20-25 minutes) stir continously to avoid burning it.
- When the tomato is well fried, add the chicken stock (meat water).
- Add the blended ginger/garlic, a teaspoon each of curry and thyme, two teaspoons of salt
- Add 4 cups of water also, taste, add salt to taste.
- Add one seasoning cube. Stir and taste, you want it overly spiced. The rice will take some of it away.
- Allow to boil before adding the parboiled rice.
- Add the remaining half of tomato that you removed initially.
- Then just cook till the rice is soft.
- Turn evenly and serve with the fried chicken.
- NOTE: If you don't want your jollof rice to start burning before it is well cooked, you need to remove some of the fried tomatoes before adding the rice. Then add it later.
Video For Nigerian Jollof Rice
The jollof rice video above was made just some days back. The method is straight and easy to follow, You will also get a visual of all the ingredients that I used in the process.
While jollof rice is the most popular food in Nigeria and also considered the national food of Nigeria, fried rice is number two on the list.
Other Nigerian Rice Recipes
I have written a detailed recipe for fried rice and also made a video for it – Fried Rice Recipe
I love Ofada rice and sauce, you can try it this weekend.
Ofada Sauce and Rice
I just edited the recipe for this coconut rice, you should try it too.
Coconut Rice Recipe
Tomato stew is a winner any day, you can serve it with white boiled rice.
How to make Tomato Stew