Porridge plantain is one of the delicious foods that are made and eaten in Nigeria. Frankly, this meal doesn’t appear often in my menu but anytime I decide to make it, I do really enjoy it.
Plantain porridge is easy to prepare, it takes the same process as Porridge Yam, although, with a little twist and slight changes in ingredients.
This delicious meal is usually made with unripe plantain, however, you can use a combination of ripe and unripe plantain, most people do this in other to achieve a faint sugary taste.
This meal (unripe plantain pottage) is very rich in iron and highly recommended for diabetic patients. If you are searching for Nigerian foods for diabetic patients I would recommend unripe plantain first, you can choose to prepare it anyhow.
In this case, we are making a porridge/pottage out of it.
Oh, I forgot to finish a sentence I stated above, that unripe plantain is very rich in iron but once it is ripe, it becomes carbohydrate and no more safe for diabetic patients.
However, anybody can enjoy this delicious meal, doesn’t it look really delicious?
The Ingredients for Plantain porridge includes
Serving: 4 People
5 medium sized Unripe plantain
100ml Palm Oil
1 cup sliced tomatoes
1 Tbsp sliced scotch bonnet peppers
1 cup sliced onions
2 seasoning cubes
500g Frozen mackrel
200g bonga fish
2 tablespoons Ground crayfish
Like I did state initially, you can even combine both ripe and unripe plantain. I decided to use frozen mackerel for this plantain porridge. You can use just fish, goat meat or even none of both. Stockfish is also a really nice choice, you are always welcome to try new things.
You can choose to add vegetables, as much as you want, fluted pumpkin is a good choice. However, I did not include vegetables in the meal above.
Peel off the green outer layer of the plantain and slice to any size of your choice. Also, go ahead and slice the tomatoes, peppers and also slice some onions, you need just a cup of sliced onions.
Precook the fish. Just wash and drop into a pot. Add half teaspoon of salt, half a cup of sliced onions, a seasoning cube and a cup of water. Allow boiling for 10 minutes, pick the fish leaving the stock in the pot.
Remove bones from the bonga fish, you don’t want the burned skin too, break into tiny pieces and set aside.
How To Make Plantain Porridge
Add 100ml of red (palm) oil to fish stock in the pot, a cup of water (300ml), 2 tbsp of ground crayfish, a seasoning cube, and salt to taste.
Add the sliced plantain, spray the sliced tomato/onions/fresh pepper at the top.
Add the fish and cover to cook for 15-20 minutes.
After 15 minutes, check to see if the water is dried and the plantain is properly cooked.
Stir all together and you just made a delicious plantain porridge.
You can serve this meal with a chilled bottle of your favorite drink.
Subscribe Below to Receive My Free Weekly Recipes.
Plantain Porridge Recipe | Yummy Nigerian foods
- 5 medium-sized Unripe plantain.
- 100 ml Palm Oil.
- 1 cup sliced tomatoes.
- 1 Tbsp sliced scotch bonnet peppers.
- 1 cup sliced onions.
- 2 seasoning cubes.
- 500 g Frozen mackerel.
- 200 g Bonga fish.
- 2 tablespoons ground crayfish.
- Chop the tomatoes, pepper, and onions to tiny bits. sliced the plantain to any size you like. I like them tiny. 😀
- Season the fish with a half a cup of sliced onions, a teaspoon of salt and one seasoning cube. Allow to cook for 10 minutes, then pick the fish and set aside, leaving the stock in the pot.
- Open the bonga fish and remove the center bone, break into tiny pieces and set aside.
- Add 300ml of water to the fish stock in the pot, two tbsp ground crayfish, a seasoning cube, 100ml of palm oil and salt to taste.
- Add the sliced plantain and the sliced tomato/onions/fresh pepper at the top.
- Add the fish and allow to cook for 15-20 minutes.
- After 15 minutes, check to see if the water is dried and the plantain is properly cooked.
- Stir all together and serve.
Let’s compare Porridge Plantain & Beans
Video For Plantain Porridge
Here is the video on how to make plantain porridge.