Yamarita is loved by everyone in Nigeria, except you haven’t yet tried it. Then this page is for you.
Yamarita is plain boiled yam that is coated in egg, flour, ginger, garlic, and salt. Don’t forget the frying part.
This is one of the most popular Hausa food.
I see it in a different restaurant every day, it is nearly as popular as suya.
This recipe is detailed and one of the most comprehensive. I got a new smart camera, so now I get cleaner image 😀
For long I have dwelt on Hausa foods, My goal is to give you as many Hausa recipes as possible.
Yamarita is just easy and delicious. You can make this in just about 45 minutes. I decided to serve with tomato stew. You can also serve with egg sauce, ketchup or even Monica sauce.
As for Monica sauce, we would talk about that soon.
This recipe shows you how to make yamarita.
Ingredients For Yamarita
Preparation Time: 60 minutes
Yam – 1kg
2 spoon of flour.
Vegetable Oil (300ml).
Teaspoon of ginger.
Teaspoon of garlic.
1 teaspoon of ground pepper.
1 cube of knorr (sweetener).
Pinch of salt.
These are some of the ingredients used for making yamarita. The white ceramic bowl contains 2 spoons of flour, powdered ginger, garlic, a pinch of salt, a cube of knorr and a teaspoon of ground pepper. Plus Three eggs and yam (1KG) inset.
Yamarita is usually what I do with left-over boiled yam. I like to think of it as the best thing that can happen to boiled yam. Either that or I have to prepare it from scratch.
Peel off the back of the yam, slice to any size, shapes and boil for about 15 minutes. It should be soft and well cooked. Drain and allow to cool.
Mix all the spices in a bowl and whisk in the three eggs
(ginger, garlic, pepper, sweetener, salt plus the three eggs.
Whisk all properly together and immerse the boiled yam in it.
Set your frying pan on the heat and add just 300ml of vegetable oil. Allow to heat for about 1 minute.
Immerse the boiled yam in your spiced barter and flip. Drop into the hot oil and fry.
Fry and flip, don’t allow to burn. You can use a spoon to apply more of the spiced bartar while it fries. I like it heavily coated.
Then serve with your favorite sauce and juice. Grilled fish or chicken is a welcome addition.
Subscribe Below to Receive My Free Weekly Recipes.
I would like to read your comment about this recipe.
Yamarita Recipe | Yam and Egg recipe from Nigeria
- Frying pan
- 1 Kg Peeled Yam
- 3 eggs
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose-flour.
- 400 ml egetable Oil For frying
- 1 Teaspoon of ginger.
- 1 Teaspoon of garlic.
- 1 teaspoon of ground pepper.
- 1 seasoning cube sweetener.
- 1 Pinch of salt.
- Boil peeled and sliced white yam for 10-15 minutes and set aside.
- Mix ginger, garlic, pepper, sweetener, salt plus the three eggs together in a small bowl
- Get the boiled yam wrapped in the barter and deep fry. Flip and fry top-side.
- Fry the egg-coated yams and flip, . You can use a spoon to apply more of the egg mixture while it fries. I like it heavily coated in the eggs.
- In Nigerian restuarants and eatries, yamarita is usually served with tomato stew or sauce. You could throw in some fried or roasted fish.