Caribbean rice is actually the most tasteful of them all. This recipe combines rice, ripe plantain, beef and some vegetables to make a sumptuous meal that leaves you salivating for more.
You can never tell how I made this food; you can never guess it until someone actually shows you. 😀
This is neither jollof rice nor fried rice, it is beyond rice. When you discover how to combine vegetables, meats, natural condiments, and rice together; you will end up with something that is simply more than rice.
I have actually made and eaten over ten different rice meals but there is sometimes special about this Caribbean rice meal. People just can’t get enough of it; I couldn’t either.
I can say not much about the origin of this delicious rice meal, I just know it is to die for!
This recipe also featured in the Ultimate Nigerian cookbook, page 34.
So let’s get to it already.
That is a delicious plate of my favorite rice meal – served with grilled chicken. For more rice recipes and tips for grilling chicken, please get the Rice eBook.
Serving: 6 persons
3 cups of rice
Chicken – 2KG
1 cup of sliced green pepper
1 cup of sliced red bell pepper (optional)
1 cup of sliced carrot
3 cups of fried ripe plantain cubes
1 cup of sliced onions
2 spoons of browning
4 seasoning cubes
salt and pepper to test
150ml of vegetable oil
400g of beef cube
Preparation time: 75 minutes
Beef cubes are just beef (cow meat) that are thinly chopped. The fried plantain cubes are just the regular fried plantain but you have to slice them in cube shapes, the same way you slice them when you are making plantain porridge (but a little bigger). Then fry them.
Don’t let my list worry you, we can purchase them from anywhere in Nigeria and Diaspora.
The browning is the regular one used in making cakes and pastries, you can purchase it from the same place you buy ingredients for cakes.
How To Make Caribbean Rice
Start by parboiling the chicken with the usual ingredient [I used 2 cubes of Maggi, teaspoon each of curry and thyme, a teaspoon of salt and a half cup of sliced onion]. When the chicken is cooked, don’t allow the stock (meat water) to dry. Pick with a fork and grill or fry. Here, I grilled the chicken.
Also, parboil the beef cubes in a small pot with one seasoning cube and a pinch of salt. Add one cup of water and allow them to cook until they are very soft. Separate the beef from the stock once it is well cooked and set aside both the stock and beef.
Slice the carrot, plantain, green pepper, onions, and beef (if that is not done already), I purchased beef cubes directly from spar in Portharcourt, so I didn’t get to slice it again.
Fry the plantain and set aside. Pour boiled water on 3 cups of rice, allow to sit for 3 minutes, wash and cook until it is 75 percent done. Don’t overcook it, or the food wouldn’t turn out well. Watch this rice closely. Add two spoons of browning to the rice, stir evenly and set aside.
Join the chicken and beef stock together. It shouldn’t be more than a cup.
How To Cook Caribbean rice
Set your cooking pot on heat and add 100ml of vegetable oil. Allow to heat for a minute before adding the beef cubes. Fry the beef cubes for 3-5 minutes until it darkens, just as it appears in the image above.
Remove the beef cubes and pour in the remaining sliced onions. Stir, add the sliced green pepper, red bell pepper, and carrot.
Add the chicken/beef stock, a teaspoon of salt, a seasoning cube and a teaspoon of ground (pepper). Stir all together.
Allow a minute, then transfer the colored rice. Turn evenly, taste for salt, you can add another seasoning cube. Once the taste is excellent enough, add the fried meat and fried plantain.
Turn evenly, cover your pot and allow simmering on low heat for 3-5 minutes.
Serve your Caribbean rice with fried or grilled chicken. This delicious rice meal is on the top of my list at the moment. What do you think? Talk to me via the comment form below. Xoxo.
Subscribe Below to Receive My Free Weekly Recipes.
Caribbean Rice Recipe
- 3 cups of rice
- 2 kg Chicken
- 1 cup sliced green pepper
- 1 cup sliced red bell pepper optional
- 1 cup sliced carrot
- 3 cup fried ripe plantain cubes
- 1 cup sliced onions
- 2 spoons browning
- 3 seasoning cubes
- Salt to taste
- Pepper to taste
- 150 ml of vegetable oil
- 400 g beef cube
- Slice the carrot, plantain, green pepper, onions, and beef (if that is not done already)
- Season the chicken with 2 seasoning cubes, a teaspoon each of curry and thyme, a teaspoon of salt and a half cup of sliced onion. When the chicken is cooked, grill and set aside the stock.
- Also, season the beef cubes with one seasoning cube and a pinch of salt. Add one cup of water and allow them to cook until they are very soft.
- Fry the plantain and set aside.
- Precook 3 cups of rice, cook until it is 70% done, you don't want it overcooked!
- Add two spoons of browning to the rice, stir evenly and set aside.
- Join the chicken and beef stock together. It shouldn’t be more than a cup.
- Set your cooking pot on heat and add 100ml of vegetable oil.
- Fry the precooked beef cube once the oil is heated. fry until it darkens. Remove the beef cubes and pour in the remaining sliced onions. Stir, add the sliced green pepper, red bell pepper, and carrot.
- Add the chicken/beef stock, a teaspoon of salt, a cube of maggi (or knorr) and a teaspoon of ground (pepper). Stir all together.
- Allow a minute, then add the browned rice. Turn evenly, taste for salt, you can add another cube of maggi. Once the taste is good enough, add the fried meat and fried plantain.
- Turn properly, cover and allow simmering for 5 minutes.
Learn How To Make Fried Rice
Try this Jollof Rice Recipe
Learn How to make Tomato Stew