This Rice and Beans recipe is probably going to be easier than most other recipes you find online. When rice is paired with beans and made into Jollof, that’s food to millions of Nigerians.
There are many staple foods in Nigeria, rice and beans are just some of them.
What we have above is a delicious looking and tasting plate of rice and beans combo that is made using my powerful recipe. 😀
For some reason, these combo tastes a lot better than just the ordinary jollof rice even when made with the same ingredients.
you might wanna try this next time instead of just jollof rice.
Ingredients for Rice and Beans
3 cups of rice
2 cups of beans
Fresh tomatoes (700ML)
3 Tablespoons canned tomatoes (tin tomato)
3 seasoning cubes
1 cup of sliced onions
1 KG Chicken
1 teaspoon of powdered ginger
1 teaspoon of powdered garlic
500ml Vegetable oil
5 scotch bonnet (peppers)
Salt to taste.
The preparation time: 90 minutes.
Rice and Beans Preparation
Start by parboiling the rice, also pick (select) and parboil the beans, wash the both of them, and set aside in different bowls.
So how do you precook rice? Just pour 3 cups of rice into boiling water, let it boil for 2 minutes, wash and set aside as you can see below.
Also, parboil the beans and set aside.
Grind the tomatoes, (700ML). Add 5 scotch bonnet pepper and blend all together.
Parboil the chicken with all the necessary ingredients (2 seasoning cubes, half cup of sliced onions, salt). Let the chicken boil for 10-15 minutes.
Pick with a kitchen fork and set aside.
Please be sure to reserve the chicken stock (meat water), it is an integral
part of Nigerian cooking.
Chicken stock(1), tin tomato(2), Precooked chicken(3), Ground fresh tomatoes(4)
Fry or grill the chicken and set aside.
Transfer the parboiled beans into a cooking pot and boil with just water and sliced onions for 30-40 minutes, this depends on the kind of beans you are cooking, if you are using the big white beans just 30 min would be enough but if it is the brown beans it would take about 40 minutes before it is 60% cooked.
You just want it almost done. See the image below.
How to Make Rice and Beans
Set your cooking pot on heat, add oil 250ml (Use the same oil that you fried the chicken with, just reduce it).
Add half cup of sliced onions, fry for a minute, add the ground tomatoes/ pepper. Also, add the store-bought tomato paste (tin tomato)
Stir and fry until it looses its sour taste and thickens, remember to turn frequently to avoid burning, should take 15-20 minutes. Once the tomato is fried remove half and set aside.
Add the chicken stock (meat water).
Add two cups of water, 1 seasoning cube, salt to taste, a teaspoon each of curry, ginger, and garlic powder. Stir and let it boil.
Taste for salt, then adds the precooked bean and parboiled rice.
Stir together and add the remaining fried tomato/pepper that you previously removed. Spread evenly on top of the cooking rice and beans, this will let your food cook properly before it starts burning.
Add the remaining sliced onions.
You will have your pot looking like below.
Cover and cook on medium heat for the next 25 to 40
minutes. Check when the rice/beans soften and the water is dried. you should have something like this.
Use a wooden turner to turn together and serve with the fried chicken.
You can add a vegetable salad or fried ripe plantain.
Now, that’s how to cook rice and beans together.
Subscribe Below to Receive My Free Weekly Recipes.
Rice and Beans Recipe
- 3 cups rice
- 2 cups beans
- Fresh tomatoes 700ml
- 3 Tablespoons canned tomatoes
- 3 seasoning cubes
- 1 cup of sliced onions
- 1 kg Chicken
- 1 teaspoon of powdered ginger
- 1 teaspoon of powdered garlic
- 500 ml Vegetable oil
- 5 scotch bonnet peppers
- Salt to taste.
- Precook the beans and rice separately, wash, and set aside in different bowls.
- Grind the tomatoes, (700ML). Add 5 scotch bonnet pepper and blend all together.
- season the chicken with 2 stock/seasoning cubes, half cup of sliced onions, salt). Let the chicken boil for 10-15 minutes.
- Fry the chicken and set the stock aside.
- Precook the beans alone with just water for 35-40 minutes.
- Fry the tomatoes using 300ml vegetable oil.
- Add half cup of sliced onions, fry for a minute then fry the tomatoes.
- Stir while it fries. It should take about 15-20 minutes then remove half once it is well fried.
- Add the chicken stock (meat water) and another 2 cups of water, 1 seasoning cube, salt to taste, a teaspoon each of curry powder, and ground ginger/garlic.
- Stir and bring to boil.
- Taste for salt then pour in the rice and beans.
- Stir and add the remaining tomatoes, half cup of sliced onions.
- Cover your pot and cook for 35-40 minutes.
- Stir and serve.